X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give DIY'ers A Break Sometime

Just wanted to say sometimes you might want to think twice about NOT helping a DIY'er when they come to the Forum.

I'll tie this together.

Know what this is?
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 11:41 PM.

Re: Give DIY'ers A Break Sometime

Just remember "Contact a licensed professional in your area"

is Help

Do tell, do tell...

Comment

I will help anyone, but if some one asks me "how do you weld a pintle plate on a Mack", or " how do I set up to weld gas/steam pipe" I think twice. I don't want to be the guy that "told them how to do it". Sure, if your willing to put the hours in to learn to become proficent at the job at I am all about teaching you. If you saw monster garage, or orange county hacks and want to be a weldor because it is "cool" go away. We all started as kids that wanted to do "that", with someone willing to show us. The trades depend on the "old timers" that will show a greenhorn the ropes, that s just the way it is. I understand all the fly by night ba$tards that are cutting our ball$ off, I deal with them everyday because welding is not a regulated trade in my state. The guys with the reputable buisness, the certs, and the good word willl come out on top. The hack do it all carpenters that think they are GC's can burn

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Just wanted to say sometimes you might want to think twice about NOT helping a DIY'er when they come to the Forum.

I'll tie this together.

Know what this is?
        That picture looks like a rotor for a car.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

i to will help any one that comes here for advice because i would rather they know how to do things the right way and not get hurt.

and i will be the first one to tell them if they were not able to do the job
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            That picture looks like a rotor for a car.
            Very close. It is a TPS switch for a Toyota 3VZE engine. How does it relate to DIY'ers?

I've had a Toyota truck for awhile. So I thought I would share some experiences with certified professional mechanics.

The Toyota dealership once kept the truck for around 25 days. For a skip and the Check Engine Light. They did do a Head Gasket recall also. I raised some sand, checked on it every Friday and FINALLY drove it away on day 23. Got out of the parking lot, skipping, and then the CEL came on. Went back and got nuts. Picked it up on day 25 and left. Running good, CEL came on within 5 miles. I said F'it and just drove deciding not to go to the Toyota trained mechanics at the dealer again.

Ironically, about a year later I plumbed a spec house for a GC. He sold it to..... a mechanic! An ASE/Toyota/Honda certified Master mechanic and instructor. Working for a Honda dealer at the time and doing some work at home.

We did some trading, he did some good service. Timing belt and water pump. But COULD NOT get the CEL out. Then the last time he had it, burned 3/4's of a tank of gas when it was about $3.49/gallon.

Brings us to recently. The truck developed a skip/driveability problem again about 8 days ago. Driving me crazy. Found another ASE Toyota trained Master mechanic. Got all the credentials on the wall. Took it there. He informed me that it could be in the valve train and the valves would have to be checked and reshimmed to within spec. And it could be a "burnt exhaust valve" and could do more damage soon. Not good. This is not uncommon with the engine design at certain mileage intervals.

Now we get to Forums and helping. I got frustrated and started checking/asking at Toyota Forums. With the help from there, I solved the CEL light through the EGR system within a couple of days.

Then the skip. They also directed me to replacing the part you see in post 1. It's the Throttle Position Sensor. (In Picture) It obviously measures the throttle position and gives that information to the computer for proper Air/Fuel/Spark mixture. It had kind of a "dead spot" internally making it exhibit skip problems in certain areas of RPM. Arrived Saturday, replaced, no skip, all good.

What's my point? I think sometimes some should really think before not assisting others that come to this Forum. I'm no idiot. (Some of the time).
            I won't direct others into an area of danger. And if someone is disrespectful to a reasonable answer then they should be told to hit the road.

I also have an eye on protecting myself and others' trade and bottom line.

I sought out 3 separate certified/licensed/trained experts in their field and received poor results. With the most recent incorrect diagnosis helping contribute to me basically being a liar to a commitment.

Then some enthusiasts on a Forum just like this one gave me help that corrected the problem without any arguments or telling me to "go see a mechanic". I WAS polite with questions and dialogue as people here should be.

Don't mean to ramble. But just remember, some that seek help may be having similar experiences as I've had in relation to plumbing, HVAC, electrical etc.

Thanks for reading.

J.C.

Comment

very good
              there is always some thing some one can trade for advice if you just give them a chance and not chase them off

so help some one today you may need there help tomorrow
              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Glad you got your problem fixed JC.

I help people all the time but I have my limits. There are people on other forums drawing out isometrics and asking sizing and venting questions and very proud of the fact they dont need a plumber.

Like many on this forum I have worked too hard to just give my knowledge away like a pez dispenser at a chicken ranch.

Plumbing is getting easier by the day, with pex, glued drain lines, flex supplies, sharkbites, and numerous other gadgets. Maybe I'm just a lone duck on this but does anyone else see where this is going?

I paid teachers to instruct me in college.
                I paid instructors at trade school to teach me plumbing.
                I make my living doing plumbing.

Tell someone how to change a flapper, ok. Answer a question on who makes the best toilet, ok. Tell someone how to size and run their new plumbing for their home, no thanks.

Maybe if I was near my retirement I would think differently, but I am not.

This is a licensed profession, and for good reason. Protecting the health of the nation is important. OK I'm done now.
                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Originally posted by TozziWelding View Post
                  I will help anyone, but if some one asks me "how do you weld a pintle plate on a Mack", or " how do I set up to weld gas/steam pipe" I think twice. I don't want to be the guy that "told them how to do it". Sure, if your willing to put the hours in to learn to become proficent at the job at I am all about teaching you. If you saw monster garage, or orange county hacks and want to be a weldor because it is "cool" go away. We all started as kids that wanted to do "that", with someone willing to show us. The trades depend on the "old timers" that will show a greenhorn the ropes, that s just the way it is. I understand all the fly by night ba$tards that are cutting our ball$ off, I deal with them everyday because welding is not a regulated trade in my state. The guys with the reputable buisness, the certs, and the good word willl come out on top. The hack do it all carpenters that think they are GC's can burn
                  BURN BABY BURN !!!! Any stripers on that Gibbs lure?
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

jc. quick question?

on the toyota forum you went for help, did you get the run around and typical answers like " go hire a mechanic" like we typically get here?

i know the sprinter forum i was on when i first got my sprinter, was extremely helpful. i know what it feels like to be on both sides of the forum.

the great thing was researching all the info i was looking for. on the questions i had, that weren't covered, the forum had no problem in answering the questions i asked.

i know from reading the the bios of the members, there was a good percentage of real pros and real sprinter enthusiast there.

i can't remember ever reading a post telling them to hire a pro. sure there were some issues with recalls that required them to go back to the dealer, but for the most part, people went out of their way to assist the poster in seeking good answers.

the hardest time i ever got on that forum was trying to answer the security question. "what is the state capital of nebraska"?

omaha, wrong answer then i tried again, lincoln, and it changed the random state even joey was stumped. finally opened up a new window to google the answer and i was rolling.

true, lots come on here for a 1 time question and answer. but many have come on and decided to stay. had this same conversation with cpw the other day, i remember that he was given the runaround. heck he was 1 of the few that's not in the trade that made it to the roundup

just remember this the next time a new face comes onto the forum.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I've been on these forums a long time, but I'm not really part of the plumbing group.

As a local, outside observer, I've seen some people get worked over pretty good. I understand the frustration many, or most, have that you work to get a license and others don't play by the same rules. I'd just prefer that somebody refrain from sharing if they have a problem giving advice rather than turning each of those threads into a lecture.

I hope this isn't taken as a criticism, but just as an observation. Sometimes I wish the woodworkers were as tight a group. Not tight as in restricting entry from others, but tight as in just willing to relax and be real about life, not just our business/hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by rofl View Post
                        I've been on these forums a long time, but I'm not really part of the plumbing group.

As a local, outside observer, I've seen some people get worked over pretty good. I understand the frustration many, or most, have that you work to get a license and others don't play by the same rules. I'd just prefer that somebody refrain from sharing if they have a problem giving advice rather than turning each of those threads into a lecture.

I hope this isn't taken as a criticism, but just as an observation. Sometimes I wish the woodworkers were as tight a group. Not tight as in restricting entry from others, but tight as in just willing to relax and be real about life, not just our business/hobby.
                        The only thing that upsets me is when I or others give plumbing advice and the original poster goes off and says "Oh I live in a small town, I do not need to follow any plumbing codes." So when they say that , that is when I will come out and give my lecture. If the person we are giving advice to lives any where in the United States there is some sort of building/plumbing code they must follow. So when they say that , that is when I will come out and give my lecture.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I didn't name anybody in particular. In fact, I'm not sure I could even tell you who has done it.

Comment

Somebody straighten me out here

It appears we have a little bit of carryover from an earlier thread though this diatribe is not directed at anyone in particular.

Do we have folks that just chase people off because they are not plumbers? (Rental property owners and hack / handymen aside).

OR is it that a decision is made about the persons technical capabilities by what they have said or how they describe a problem that raiases flags with some plumbers that have a conscience and / or understand the term culpability .

If the examples of asked for and given advice are for vehicle repairs and carpentry work what does that have to do with public safety? Again we are talking apples to oranges or we are just intentionally misrepresenting the examples by setting them as equal as some form of justification for our actions.

With knowledge comes responsibility.... When you dispense potentially dangerous advice as a professional with no idea of a persons technical / professional background you are irresponsible. If you believe that you would somehow be protected from litigation or fault just because you dispense the advice through a computer again you would be wrong.

I'm wrong all the time and by no means perfect, we have to be willing to hold ourselves acountable for our actions, even the ones we think are no big deal...

If that is how you choose to do business OK but be prepaired to be called out when a percieved line is crossed and don't expect to get off the hook with the transparant argument that "All advice is Equal"

If I'm off base straighten me out, I have been around here for a couple of years now and value and respect our collective discussions

Bill
                            Last edited by OkieBill; 09-15-2009, 05:04 PM. Reason: My spelling really stinks:-)

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                              BURN BABY BURN !!!! Any stripers on that Gibbs lure?
                              I have some nice homemade ball jigs with real buck tail, along with smiling bills, and storm sinkers. If you fish that kind of gear on the left coast let me know and I will send you a care pack.

Comment

Working...
                              X