X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BobsPlumbing
    started a topic Give DIY'ers A Break Sometime

Give DIY'ers A Break Sometime

Just wanted to say sometimes you might want to think twice about NOT helping a DIY'er when they come to the Forum.

I'll tie this together.

Know what this is?
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 01-18-2010, 10:41 PM.

• NHMaster3015
    replied
    Re: Give DIY'ers A Break Sometime

This thread not only took off in a new direction, it damn near doubled back on itself. Lets get back to bashing homeowners

Leave a comment:

• SewerRatz
    replied

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
    That picture looks like a rotor for a car.
    Let me clarify a rotor as in cap and rotor. It looked like a part to the distributor to me.
    Last edited by SewerRatz; 09-21-2009, 10:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BrandonG
    replied

Originally posted by Redwood View Post
    Maybe you gotta stick with whatever it is you do...

http://images.google.com/images?gbv=...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Rats guess was a pretty good one in my book but I was thinking distributor pickup module myself...

Who are you again???

Leave a comment:

• davevb
    replied

Now, whenever you hear or see this problem you know what the answer could be. Had I been there, that is the one thing I would have suggested (I'm not even a shade tree mechanic). I had that twice on Ford pickups and the second time I didn't even ask a mechanic; I bought the part and asked my mechanic to install it after I realized I was in too deep (before anything was taken apart).
    Good post!

Leave a comment:

• Redwood
    replied

Originally posted by BrandonG View Post
    Maybe you gotta stick with whatever it is you do...

http://images.google.com/images?gbv=...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Rats guess was a pretty good one in my book but I was thinking distributor pickup module myself...

Leave a comment:

• rofl
    replied

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
    I wasn't referencing the picture, but giving Too much advice in general. I think a certain amount is educating the individual, too much information without the right background is just Bad.
    What I said is more directed towards NH.

I've said to customers for many years "a little bit of 'this old house' is dangerous".

I've made a living at cleaning up behind people who thought they could handle a project.

That said, there is a big difference between answering a simple question and giving a detailed account of how to do something only a pro should do. And there are a lot more people taking food off my table than some guy half way across the nation just asking a question.

Leave a comment:

• MoJourneyman
    replied

I wasn't referencing the picture, but giving Too much advice in general. I think a certain amount is educating the individual, too much information without the right background is just Bad.

Originally posted by rofl View Post
    A lawyer isn't going to call you in for posting a picture you found on Google Image Search and asking if this is what the person is asking about.

If a person is worried about giving information they shouldn't over the internet they should probably just log out instead of sweating everything a hack asks a question.

Leave a comment:

• rofl
    replied

A lawyer isn't going to call you in for posting a picture you found on Google Image Search and asking if this is what the person is asking about.

If a person is worried about giving information they shouldn't over the internet they should probably just log out instead of sweating everything a hack asks a question.

Leave a comment:

• MoJourneyman
    replied

If an individual wants information to make themselves better informed, so they can ask the right questions when a contractor arrives, I like it.

If the individual wants information so they can attempt to do a dangerous job that others are qualified to do... no thanks, if they blow themselves up, i'd still sleep just fine. until their lawyers got ahold of me.

Leave a comment:

• NHMaster3015
    replied

I have been over this issue on more forums and more threads than I care to remember. Let me ask a question of you though. If you go on in and ask a surgeon how to do a gastric bypass, do you really think he is going to take even 1 second to explain the procedure to you? All you diy hacks seem to think that just because you can tell the difference between a screwdriver and a hammer that somehow you should possess the experience and skills to take on any job you don't think you can pay someone else with the knowledge and skill to do. And I do teach. It's a 2 year class and another 4 year class. And when the students come out of them they have knowledge and skills because they take the course step by step from the beginning. No short cuts. No dive right in and start hacking away. They understand theory and procedure. As for feeding myself, hell yes, for the knowledge and skills I posess, plus the licenses I hold, I DAMN WELL do have the right to make money. Lot's of it.

Next

Leave a comment:

• BHD
    replied

I am guessing by rotor he meant the distributer where the electrical rotor would go. at first glance that is what I thought it may be as well but on closer inspection It did not look like the advance in a distributer,

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    by NH Master
    For the life of me I just can not understand what there is to gain by telling people how to do your job? The economy is in the toilet so the last thing on my mind is helping someone take more food off my table.
    you list your self as an educator, (but a very selective educator apparently), some educators are educators by heart, and they want to share there knowledge to others, even if there not compensated, for it, at one time the term Teacher was used as that was what was in there hearts, was to teach, to expand the base of knowledge to others, just because some one knows how to, does not mean they do it,
    I would venture to guess in your school there is an art department and the "educator" possesses the knowledge to form and bake and make a toilet, from ceramics, but do they, I would guess not,
    you posses the knowledge and access to the tools, to make "Pipe Nipples" do you make them or buy them. you could cast your own wax toilet rings, do you?,
    there are a lot of things a person has knowledge of, but it does not nessarly make them do it, having some know how makes a person a better informed customer,
    it is some what like the person who sees the oil light come on in the car and they drive it for three more weeks before having some one check on it, the lack of knowledge is a detriment to there safety and those around them.

Hey Tool, I won't even crack my eyes open in the morning for a hundred bucks. http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28205
    It really does not look like your to concerned about feeding your face,
    Last edited by BHD; 09-19-2009, 09:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BrandonG
    replied

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
    That picture looks like a rotor for a car.

Stick to plumbing.......LOL http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...oq=&aqi=g1g-m9

Leave a comment:

• NHMaster3015
    replied

Yep, but protecting folks from bad plumbing is my job. Bad cars is someone elses

Leave a comment:

• Andy_M
    replied

>> "The whole brakes thing don't really fly though, because most states require you to inspect the vehicle."

No safety inspections in CA. Only emissions.
    And we have a few cars here...

Even in states where there are safety inspections, what happens in the time between when the amateur mechanic butches his brakes and the annual or bi-annual inspection?

My point is, there's lots of way to screw up, and screw up bad. It's not exclusive to plumbing or electrical.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X