History Of Plumbing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History Of Plumbing

I found this quite interesting and thought many of you might as well. It's quite long but I couldn't stop reading it. The article is by Plumbing and Mechanical on the history of plumbing in America July 1987. I thought I might share it with you all.

- Dan

http://www.theplumber.com/usa.html

Re: History Of Plumbing

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
    I found this quite interesting and thought many of you might as well. It's quite long but I couldn't stop reading it. The article is by Plumbing and Mechanical on the history of plumbing in America July 1987. I thought I might share it with you all.

- Dan

http://www.theplumber.com/usa.html

Ahh yes - The good ole days

Thanks for the link

Comment

No problem

Comment

I have it on CD ROM
        sigpic

Comment

I read somewhere a long time ago, that a famous poet in NYC built the first house that had hot/cold water and drains. Be darned if I can remember his name or the year. Anyone know?
          (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            I have it on CD ROM
            I think I might order it from P&M I liked it a lot and they have been doing that series for many years now. I am kind of a history buff, I love learning about American history, no matter what the topic.

Comment

Who knows the name of the company that produced and sold the first instantaneous gas water heater ? If you have to Google you're cheating
              sigpic

Comment

I didn't know I was studding for a test. If I remember right I thought it was Ruud or something..... Smith company? If I remember right Ruud was a British company and Smith was a U.S. company.

Comment

I think I have that backwards (I remember it was Pratt or Pritt & Smith, I can't remember) was a British company and Ruud is the American company.

I have a head ache now.

Comment

I have it on CD ROM
                    Haven't got mine yet. Do they show sharkbites , ward flex gas pipe, and AAV'S
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      Haven't got mine yet. Do they show sharkbites , ward flex gas pipe, and AAV'S

lol, nope! I've used flexible gas line once, and it still bothers me.

Here's a picture that's been on my company website now for 7 years and for some reason it just intrigued me.

I do know that back in that day, the plumber and the carpenter had to work hand in hand when the plumbing was done. They had to. Same with the brick mason.

To think back in that day that there was nothing with a battery, nothing relating to means of communication, nothing but hand cranking tools or long nosed hand saws...

And then the size of the nails they'd use?

Technology and time has come a long ways, and we freak when that technology isn't at our disposal.

Name:  1f746472533d293f3931eb48651665cf.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  69.2 KB
                      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

It was indeed Ruud and it was produced in the late 1800's
                        sigpic

Comment

It was indeed Ruud and it was produced in the late 1800's

Did you know the British company I was talking about? It's been bothering me and I have been to busy to look for it.

Comment

YT video about the history of plumbing and the UA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Ige...eature=related

History of the UA
                            http://www.ua.org/uahistory.asp
                            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Was reading a code book from the 1950's I ran across in my closet. It refers to types K, L, M and O copper. I believe the O was a pseudonym for DWV. Anyone refer to it as such or remember when it was called as such?

Comment

Working...
                              X