X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braided supply lines

I think by now probably most everyone uses braided lines at least some of the time if not exclusively. I use them occasionally myself.
    They are great for final connection behind a fridge to an ice maker or for a dishwasher connection. Places where they are not conspicuous. The only 2 problems I really have with them is 1) They most often when installed look just plain crappy due to the loops usually necessary to fit them in place, whereas using solid chromed supply lines that are properly bent into place using tube benders you end up with a professional looking installation and not something that any hack could put in. 2) I do not think that they should be allowed as toilet supplies mainly because not being solid along their length they are succeptable to the inevitable urine spatter that men and boys are occasionaly guilty of and braided lines cannot be cleaned in any kind of sanitary way. For that reason alone I think for closet installations that all plumbing codes should stipulate that these not be allowed.
    Just a rant I realize that as long as our trade continues to be be dumbed down we will see many more of this kind of thing....I just don't like it.

Re: Braided supply lines

I feel your pain, but after having chlorine break down some of my nose cone washers that have been there for a long time,(hot side)
    i went to some thing that would not blow out

Comment

I've been using braided SS supplies for over 20 years on toilets, faucets, dishwashers, etc. Knock on wood, I have never had a recall on one or had one blow apart, and I've installed more than I could ever count.

Actually I don't think I've installed even a dozen solid risers in all that time.

Comment

The thing i hate about them is that if they are more than a few years old and you have to take them apart, they never seem to reseal, expecially on the 3/8" compression end.

Comment

the braided lines are fine as long as they are not exposed to chlorine based cleaners. the stainless braid will corrode.

brass craft makes a polymer braid that looks like stainless and is chemical resistant.

the place where i've had lots of leaks and burst are on braided stainless water heater flexes.

don't know about you guys, but on a kohler replacement ballcock that has a sheath riser side mount ballcock. you are required to use the supplied water flex to prevent a cracked ballcock shank.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Anybody know where I can get solder on nose cones ?

I actually lost a Customer beacuse I refused to Install rubber cone washers ...

Comment

I have always been able to get the solder on nose cones at the wholesale, and if out of stock they are always able to order them in fairly quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                the braided lines are fine as long as they are not exposed to chlorine based cleaners. the stainless braid will corrode.

brass craft makes a polymer braid that looks like stainless and is chemical resistant.

the place where i've had lots of leaks and burst are on braided stainless water heater flexes.

don't know about you guys, but on a kohler replacement ballcock that has a sheath riser side mount ballcock. you are required to use the supplied water flex to prevent a cracked ballcock shank.

rick.

I started using the Brasscraft polymer risers, I like them. Never once installed a flex SS riser on a water heater though. We don't even use the copper flex around here, hard pipe all of them.

Comment

This, absolutely this.

of course, we don't worry about earthquakes so much here.

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                  I started using the Brasscraft polymer risers, I like them. Never once installed a flex SS riser on a water heater though. We don't even use the copper flex around here, hard pipe all of them.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Hard pipe including Viega pex too of course!

Comment

The only problem I have with them is that just like pex, they look like crap.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                        This, absolutely this.

of course, we don't worry about earthquakes so much here.

I made the move back to my home town in Minnesota just over 6 years ago. We don't do any of that E.Q. stuff here, still have a few boxes of EQ strap kits I brought with me collecting dust on the shelf, I'll find a use for them one of these days. Before MN. I owned and operated a plumbing business in northern Ca., I know all about them earthquakes! I was working in S.F. in 1989 when the "big one" hit.

p.s. Try making the move from Ca. to a state like Mn. and it's hard core license laws compared to Kalifornia. I almost had to jump through hoops of fire in order to even be accepted to take the Master Test. But I did it and here I am.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          The only problem I have with them is that just like pex, they look like crap.
                          I don't get that many customers caring about the looks of their risers.

You know how I feel about pex, I like it and I think it looks beautiful.

I Love using the propress x Viega Pex fittings to start my runs on repipes. Press one side, crimp the other, one fitting... and their off! LOL

Comment

Working...
                          X