Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non Overflow Toilet?

Hiya

What do you guys think of the new Penguin Non Over flow toilet?

Source: http://411plumb.com/penguin-toilet-review

View of toilet outlet with water discharging from alternate drain.

The outlet horn of the Penguin raises some concern because of its large oval shape it may not fit well with all closet flanges particularly ones that fit inside a 3” pipe. Using wax rings that have a black plastic horn built into them should probably be avoided as well because of possible interference problems. Many of the larger outlet horn toilets have interference fitting to these flanges and wax rings with horns, we have not tested Penguin Toilets for interference. Today’s 1.6 and 1.28 gallon per flush toilets will not normally overflow when clogged unless the toilet is flushed a second time or there is a mechanical problem with the toilet where water does not shut off at the end of the flush cycle.
    If you have child or, an elderly family member that frequently plugs up a toilet then keeps flushing causing a flooding mess or, have a toilet where vandalism frequently causes floods, the Penguin Toilet maybe the solution to your problems. Check out Penguin Toilets today or, shop for them
    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Re: Non Overflow Toilet?

based on the description, the toilet only protects a stoppage in the bowl, not the waste line.

i can't think of a 1.6 toilet that can overflow the bowl on a single flush.

in the past the bummer toilets were the western lowboys and kohler 1 pc. rialtos. these toilets would continue to run if the toilet was plugged. the flush valve was basically the same level as the bowl and the flapper would float when the water level came up.

another gimmick in the making.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      based on the description, the toilet only protects a stoppage in the bowl, not the waste line.

i can't think of a 1.6 toilet that can overflow the bowl on a single flush.

in the past the bummer toilets were the western lowboys and kohler 1 pc. rialtos. these toilets would continue to run if the toilet was plugged. the flush valve was basically the same level as the bowl and the flapper would float when the water level came up.

another gimmick in the making.

rick.

Ah Rick, You are one smart man

I bet Penguin would not like to hear that

But I agree with you
      Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV

Comment

Welcome to the forum 1972 Plumber

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
          Welcome to the forum 1972 Plumber
          I DITTO that

Comment

I smell Spam

Comment

I'm not saying this is the answer to everything, but I see at least 2 toilets a year that are plugged in the trap and the fill valve or flapper is defective causing a huge mess. I think the flapper design is absolute crap. Flappers leaking for months and years and nobody knowing or doing anything about it. That my fellow plumbers is a terrible design. What a waste of water. Thats O.K. 1.28gallon toilets will make up for the waste of water

Comment

there is a very simple fix for toilets with leaking flappers.

fluidmaster makes a ballcock that will not refill the tank when the flapper has leaked.

the float will stick and not refill until the handle is tripped again. it utilizes a second handle chain to release a clip that holds the float on the shank

this will save water and drive the homeowner crazy. they will either call you to fix it or continue to have to flush once to refill and wait to flush again.

fluidmaster ballcocks fit 90% of new toilets.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Seems to me that in a situation where the bowl might be approaching overflow, that "stuff" is on the top of the water, and that small overflow passage would be subject to clogs???

Comment

fluidmaster makes a ballcock that will not refill the tank when the flapper has leaked.

the float will stick and not refill until the handle is tripped again. it utilizes a second handle chain to release a clip that holds the float on the shank

this will save water and drive the homeowner crazy. they will either call you to fix it or continue to have to flush once to refill and wait to flush again.

rick.
                    Ah Yes the Fluidmaster Leak Sentry Fill Valve...

It does drive people crazy especially if they don't hold the lever down long enough when flushing for the water level in the tank to drop and the fill valve to start filling the tank.

I find all to many people are in the hit the handle quick catagory so there tends to be a lot of people the Fluidmaster LS annoys and no matter how many times they are told they can't get it right.

I don't install this product as my choice nor recommend it.
                    i can't afford the erronious callbacks it would generate.

Originally posted by lovetheUSA View Post
                    Seems to me that in a situation where the bowl might be approaching overflow, that "stuff" is on the top of the water, and that small overflow passage would be subject to clogs???
                    I agree with you but the holes under the rim also double as the overflow.
                    The overflow features trap is primed by part of the flow of water into the bowl every flush so they are connected.

I think it would have been a better idea in the days of 3.5 GPF toilets...
                    Today it's just a gimmick.
                    411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

rick.
                      Funny you mentioned this Rick. I was on a golf outing friday and a big customer of mine called with toilet trouble. A Good friend of mine took care of them for me and it turned out it was that kind of fill valve. Have you had good luck with them?

Comment

the best place to install these are vacation homes, and bathrooms that don't see much use.

yes, they can be finicky, but they are designed to let the owner know they have a leak. they will save water if the customer doesn't want to replace a $3.00 flapper.

they are easily converted to a normal 400-a ballcock if you get frustrated.

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                        X