X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use a Spartan Service Body

I was looking at the Spartan service bodies for the cutaway vans. Anyone have one? Like it?
    Also looked at Stahl and Utilimaster, I Liked the Spartan.
    -running out of space

Re: Anyone use a Spartan Service Body

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
    I was looking at the Spartan service bodies for the cutaway vans. Anyone have one? Like it?
    Also looked at Stahl and Utilimaster, I Liked the Spartan.
    -running out of space
    I have a 2007 GMC G3500 with a Spartan by Supreme body. 12'. Truck has been pretty good. A friend of mine (carpenter) has the same truck, 1 year older. (2006)

We both had a couple of issues with the body. The fiberglass/plywood body is attached to a metal rail which is sandwiched between the frame of the truck, and the floor of the body. This connection is made with self tapping screws through the back side of the compartments, (the 2 behind the rear wheels). On my truck, these screws sheared off, and the body began to sag (inside the truck). It came to rest on the leaf spring shackles, and wore a groove in the floor of the 2 outside (L & R) bins, over the wheels. I made some 1/4" thick steel plates, and throughbolted the s--- out of everything. Took about 4 hours. Its good now. (The truck may be a little overweight!) (Did not want the dealer to do it)

My carpenter buddy had a very similar problem going on, he took his to the GM dealer, they had to shim his body between the chassis and floor. They told him Spartan was aware of a problem. My body attachment was designed differently than his, mine is 1 year newer) So I believe Spartan is trying to remedy the problem. Maybe give them a call.

Other than that, it is awesome! Do yourself a favor, get the 14' body!!! Also, get the power locks for all the doors in the body, I got 'em, and they are sweet. Let me know if you have any questions. Be happy to answer them.
    Last edited by RealLivePlumber; 09-22-2009, 07:27 AM. Reason: poor grammer

Comment

an old friend of mine has a spartan cutaway body.

compared to my abc / aluminum body corporation body, his was junk.

they used a very thin frp/ fiberglass reinforced plywood body. the shelving started to fall apart and the locks were junk.

this is a 2000 model. they have a deal with chevy/gmc to build these bodies and i think they just took all the shortcuts to save a buck.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the info, still looking. I'm also going to check out Stahl and Utilimaster bodies.

Comment

What about Hackney?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I didn't see any Hackney cutaways, do they make them?

Comment

I have worked for a few plumbing companies all had Spartan Service vans with the doors on both sides very dependable trucks.
              one company had 30 0f the 12 footers and we loaded them heavy... even carried a 40 gallon water heater and a 12" RB toilet. no problems at all.
              the company I work for now as three of the 10 foot spartans sigle wheels we have a 1998 a 2001 and a 2003 all bought new and well maintained... again very few repairs ....we built extra shelfs in them so we can carry EVERYTHING each truck has about 75 grand worth of stock...rated for 96 GVW I think my truck is pushing close to 14!!!! unless the person reading this works for DMV if you are it's loaded to the legal limit.
              I do go through brakes yearly being that over loaded and I have blown the brake lines once.... but still GREAT trucks... if you get one get the american van drawer's they fit right in I have three 30 drawer chests in them ..they hold a ton.
              my personal truck is also a 12 foot spartan.... I'll send pictures of custom shelves if your interested.
              ALSO hook up a back up camera if you get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Any Small Job Plumbing View Post
                I have worked for a few plumbing companies all had Spartan Service vans with the doors on both sides very dependable trucks.
                one company had 30 0f the 12 footers and we loaded them heavy... even carried a 40 gallon water heater and a 12" RB toilet. no problems at all.
                the company I work for now as three of the 10 foot spartans sigle wheels we have a 1998 a 2001 and a 2003 all bought new and well maintained... again very few repairs ....we built extra shelfs in them so we can carry EVERYTHING each truck has about 75 grand worth of stock...rated for 96 GVW I think my truck is pushing close to 14!!!! unless the person reading this works for DMV if you are it's loaded to the legal limit.
                I do go through brakes yearly being that over loaded and I have blown the brake lines once.... but still GREAT trucks... if you get one get the american van drawer's they fit right in I have three 30 drawer chests in them ..they hold a ton.
                my personal truck is also a 12 foot spartan.... I'll send pictures of custom shelves if your interested.
                ALSO hook up a back up camera if you get it.
                Lets see some pix!

As far as quality goes, It appears that Spartan gets better every year. The door handles are stainless steel. 2 years now and never even needed an adjustment. I cant wait to hire someone to put in my 12' and get the 14'!!

Comment

http://www.hackneyplumbing.com/ They don't but I hear good things about their trucks. http://www.omahastd.com/index.php?page=products&id=5 Here's another company. No knowledge of their product but they have a good warranty. http://www.knapheide.com/products/ut...pe=utilityvans This is the what the government contractors use in VA. http://www.readingbody.com/ And here's another one.
                  Last edited by gear junkie; 09-23-2009, 10:50 AM.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I grabbed some pictures from the 10 foot 4 wheel spartan van I drive at work .. it can truly hold a ton

hmmm I just looked to see where I place the pictures on this forum.... I saw something that said insert image ....but when I click on it, it gives me a place to insert a URL address???? can I post pictures here or do I have to use some picture site????

Comment

Went searching to see if anyone had any reviews on the Spartan Service body, and came across this thread.

I've went from a few Ford E-350 vans to a Stahl E350 cutaway, and we are starting to look for another truck.

First off, I want to say I'll never again buy another Stahl product. I like the room, but other than that, everything about the truck is expensive. The body started showing rust after 3 years, and getting ahold of anyone from Stahl was a major pain. If I was going to metal again...I would go Reading Body.

Many Plumbers, Electricians in my area have the Spartan Service bodies. I asked 1 Plumber what he thought of his truck, and for the most part he loved it.

I seen one up close at the dealership, but I think I want to order one if I go this route. But the truck has to be under 10,000GVW...tired of the expense that comes with it.

Been looking into Sprinters, as one Plumber in my area has a freaking beautiful Sprinter van. His truck made one of the Plumbing magazines...and the inside made my jaw drop. But he easily dropped close to $60,000 into the truck..so I don't know how much I love it. lol

I've seen hackney, but not sure if it's for me. I like the idea of having compartments on the outside, as I don't really want to climb into the truck every single time, unless it was a Sprinter.

If anyone else on here uses Spartan I'd like to hear some reviews different from the guys in my area.

Comment

i have a shahl muv body and it is garbage. the warranty is 5 year .but it is only 4 years old rusting .hinges breaking. next one will be knapheid i hope

Comment

1990 Reading. One broken handle. Still trucking.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                          X