Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Greywater Reuse, Bad or Good?

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
    I was thinking of adding a small pump to it so if I will be out of town for few weeks on a business trip or vacation then I can empty the tank.

I have a large garden that I grow an assortment of vegetables in. I ran a water line from my main water line out to my garden so it would make easier to water when I first moved in to my house. I had to replace the main line last year and did not reconnect the line going to the garden faucet. I left an access so that later I can if I choose to.
    I will make a video or take some pictures this afternoon to try and explain what I am doing. I have to finish replacing my water line under the house. Currently I have polly that comes out of the ground and through the vent. So I have to drill into the foundation, pipe it through there and re-pipe it under the house as well. From there it T's off and goes strait out to my garden to a faucet. Instead of hooking the main to my garden faucet again. I was thinking about this greywater system since I have to spend all that time under the house anyways.
    Water the grass sure...Use greywater to flush a toilet yup...

I would stay away from using straight greywater to water a garden that has foods for human consumption planted in it.

I have no idea what the methoclhoroisothiazoline from my shampoo tastes like but the chances of finding out are pretty high if you water your prize tomatos from your tub water.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
      Water the grass sure...Use greywater to flush a toilet yup...

I would stay away from using straight greywater to water a garden that has foods for human consumption planted in it.

I have no idea what the methoclhoroisothiazoline from my shampoo tastes like but the chances of finding out are pretty high if you water your prize tomatos from your tub water.

I didn't think of that. Very good point.

Comment

Let me tell you guy's. For those that know, there's a crap load of money to be made here.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          Let me tell you guy's. For those that know, there's a crap load of money to be made here.
          You got that right!! and it's old old old technology. Nothing new at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
            Hope the filters are good I remember parties where people pissed in the sink and threw up in the tub or sink.
            What's wrong with pissing in the sink?
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Worked pretty good for the Indians
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by nhmaster3015 View Post
                let me tell you guy's. For those that know, there's a crap load of money to be made here.

" master's, green greywater "

Comment

This is the water line replacement I did a while back and that I am going to finish soon.

This is the connection. I had a sidewalk to the left of the picture that I bore under to connect out in my yard.

This is where it t's in my hard to go to the right into the house and strait out to the back yard faucet.

The t is just out of the picture but I added a valve to turn the water on when i reconnect the line at a later date

This is where I connected it to the polly pipe that goes into the house for a temp fix. I didn't notice this for the first two yrs I owned the house. Until l started having problems with my pipes freezing. Shortly after it froze last winter our water bill tripled and I dug it up and found five leaks. So much for paying for a house inspection before I bought the house. The guy went under my house and never even saw this problem.

This is the faucet that I put in for my garden.

Comment

Grey water is here to stay in arid and semi arid areas (CA, TX, NV, AZ, NM, UT, CO). Because of on going drought, Australia is into grey water in a big way. Once it reaches critical mass, with manufacturer's reps pushing it to the inspectors, we'll be putting them in on a regular basis. I'd be surprised if Southern Ca doesn't eventually mandate their use. At present, the systems I've installed and am familiar with need a little work. But, it's just a matter of time.

Comment

our laundry water goes onto some of the fruit trees and keeps them very healthy. folks have been using grey water here for watering since before the Danes.

kitchen grey water is rather messy (food, oils, etc) and can attract rodents and other pests.

showers/tubs and lavs help clear the waste from drain lines and helps prevent blockages.

that being said, i have friends that have their bath grey water go onto their orange, mango, bananna, caranbola, etc trees with no detrimental effect to flavor.

if i was to design a system it would be a 200-300 gallon buffalo and a solar pump with a drip irrigation path

BTW, we can store up to 42,000 gallons of water in our cistern and a full tank (with no rain) will last us about 12 months.

steve
                      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I am the president of a small water company in Utah. We have talked about mandating a dual pipe system for all new homes.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

The big thing in Tucson right now is rain water harvesting. Lots of people are collecting the rain runoff from the roof. They have storm culverts standing on end set in cement with hose bibbs and all the gutters running into the top. It is required on all new commercial construction.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyEman View Post
                            The big thing in Tucson right now is rain water harvesting. Lots of people are collecting the rain runoff from the roof. They have storm culverts standing on end set in cement with hose bibbs and all the gutters running into the top. It is required on all new commercial construction.

You guys in AZ have had a pretty bad drought these last couple of years or was that just Texas?

As far as installing a greywater system I am still looking into it. I am not sure if I will do it or not. I think they are a good idea and it makes sense to reuse your greywater not for environmental reasons but for water saving and cost saving reasons.
                            Last edited by DanLawrence; 09-24-2009, 09:08 AM.

Comment

The Japanese have had gray water for toilets for a while now.At the last wholesale house tent show I saw a system in place that had a lav sink on the toilet tank for water and space saving,from Australia.
                              The MN plumbing board had their table set up kittie corner across from it and didn't see it.
                              I took one of them over and asked ...so your graywater board has not met again for another year.We are going to have products like this becoming common quite soon.So why is this not being addressed now?
                              ....No reply really.I Like the gray aspect of toilet flushing.
                              Local inspectors would be on task for this question who in turn would ask the state...

Comment

I don't care if people use grey water to flush toilets as long as it in no way interferes with the installation of toilet seat bidets. Toilet seat bidets are the greenest, healthiest,most water saving plumbing product we can install.

Oh! I forgot, the most terrifying also---- thats why so few plumbers will use them.

Comment

Working...
                                X