Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Greywater Reuse, Bad or Good?

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
    I am the president of a small water company in Utah. We have talked about mandating a dual pipe system for all new homes.

Mark
    I wounder if the price of water is to cheep in that location? I bet people would conserve with a high price on a valuable commodity.

Comment

We are allowed by state code to use grey water for toilets and urinals only for the time being, basically using a brac system. I have not installed any or serviced any yet, but I am sure the time will come.

With all of the talk of being green I can see it becoming very big in the near future, but the problem with this will be that the older homes with CI drain pipes will get plugged up more frequently in my opinion. All of this will mean more money in our pockets.

Comment

How can you tell a service plumber from all others? They have no idea where there code book is! Seems like in the international code all grey water reuse systems have to add dye to the water. I should look into recycle systems. I bet the market is bigger than I can imagine. Even if people had 1 toilet working on grey water, they would feel good about doing something for the environment. That being said we have a lot of water in Mi.

Comment

In most areas it is illegal and contrary to public building and health codes, even in areas like California where water is at a premium. It makes sense for new construction if you can get a permit and it is installed properly.

You do need to consider where the extra water is going and your home site. On a steep hillside the extra water into the ground can cause slippage and it might be better to have the water going into the sewer instead or be able to shut it off for the rainy season.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuda View Post
            Hope the filters are good I remember parties where people pissed in the sink and threw up in the tub or sink.
            I think pretty much every drain in our house will have excrement since we are potty training our kids. The sink will have it while we wash clothes, and the tub has it so that we can wash them down after an accident.

Comment

Some thing to understand.

1. The soaps used in your Dishwasher and Laundry Machine are mostly sodium Chloride, (chlorine) they break down very quickly and revert to there natural state of Sodium or salt. The salt in high concentrations can distroy certain crops. Citrus, Avocados, burn grass, kill ferns, etc... You need to calculate out your water discharge from these two areas and determine if its sensible to include them in your grey water discharge.

2. If you plan on using alot of GWD, see if you local water district will allow you adjustments on the sewer charge portion of your water bill. Remember for every gallon of water you take into your house the city charges you an equivelant sewer charge, as they assume it's coming back to them.

Industrial plants and even with some farm dairy applications we have worked on we have successfully got the sewage portion of the water bill reduced to almost nothing because are able to measure the actual waste water going out of the facility against what the meter says is going in.

Comment

Working...
              X