X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greywater Reuse, Bad or Good?

As of March 16, 2009 Oregon passed a bill (bill 2080) this allows greywater reuse systems for irrigation of lawns and gardens. This has been praised by many of the green groups. You would have to have some sort of filtration system and a holding tank of some sort. There are household chemicals and soaps and different things I can imagine would not be good for you lawn or garden. How would one set this up? And do you guys think this is a good idea or bad idea? Also does anyone install them and is it worth the cost to install them?

I found these images.

Last edited by DanLawrence; 09-22-2009, 10:23 AM. Reason: Added Pictures

Re: Greywater Reuse, Bad or Good?

i have had customers in older homes that just put it directly into there garden, with no apparant affects. good looking garden.
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Hope the filters are good I remember parties where people pissed in the sink and threw up in the tub or sink.
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
        i have had customers in older homes that just put it directly into there garden, with no apparant affects. good looking garden.

So they had no kind of filter or any kind of pretreatment?

Comment

none. the pipe just ran from the under the kitchen sink to the rasied beds. in the winter they tuned a valve and it ran to the septic tank.

Comment

An old friend of mine had been using his laundry effluent to sub irigate his garden for years with no adverse effects.

Personally I like the idea of re-using the greywater. Weather it's cost effective or not, I don't know.
            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

The reason I am asking this is because I am thinking about setting up a system to water my lawn for the two months out of the year we don't get rain. I can see where it would take some work and some $$$ but I was thinking of running an under ground system kind of like a leach field through small perforated pvc through out the yard. I will have to see what it would cost vs the return on water savings.

Comment

My only thought would be how are you going to get equal distribution and even watering of your yard? If you are planning on letting gravity do the work you may get an uneven flow as most of the water will drop out near the front of the line unless you have some slope to the line. Of course you won't want too much slope or it will all run to the end. If you use a pump then you wouldn't have much problem with equal flow but you'll have more expense.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do.
                www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

I love 'em I get to plumb the waste twice.Makes the project challenging(no over boring structural between floors 2 pipes).Someone in Santa Monica was trying to give seminars on it.I would've gone if my contact had followed through.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                    I love 'em I get to plumb the waste twice.Makes the project challenging(no over boring structural between floors 2 pipes).Someone in Santa Monica was trying to give seminars on it.I would've gone if my contact had followed through.

What kind of permit would I need to have this installed?

Comment

This is the wave of the future.... Wait until we are recycling the greywater for flushing of toilets.

Something to keep in mind if you are going to DIY this...

You need to keep your water turnover rate pretty high with these systems... (Natural cisterns without modern chemicals are the exception)

Your water will go fetid if it sits in a tank for too long and not be much good to you (along with a build-up of household chemicals over time)

Bigger is not better in this case... I heard somewhere that 3-4 days of supply is the most you want to store.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                        This is the wave of the future.... Wait until we are recycling the greywater for flushing of toilets.

Something to keep in mind if you are going to DIY this...

You need to keep your water turnover rate pretty high with these systems... (Natural cisterns without modern chemicals are the exception)

Your water will go fetid if it sits in a tank for too long and not be much good to you (along with a build-up of household chemicals over time)

Bigger is not better in this case... I heard somewhere that 3-4 days of supply is the most you want to store.

Bill
                        This system is already here. My original post on this forum back in Nov. of 2007 was on grey water systems and I found a link that supplys water for flushing toilets..... www.bracsystems.com
                        The Other Rick

Comment

when i was younger we used to take the water in the bath tub and we had a pot that we would scoop the bath water out to flush the toilet.
                          it was acually against the law to water your lawn or wash you car. if you did your neighbor could turn you in for a reward.

Comment

Originally posted by rick1643 View Post
                            This system is already here. My original post on this forum back in Nov. of 2007 was on grey water systems and I found a link that supplys water for flushing toilets..... www.bracsystems.com
                            The future I was refering to is the mandated installation / use of these systems nationwide

Comment

I was thinking of adding a small pump to it so if I will be out of town for few weeks on a business trip or vacation then I can empty the tank.

I have a large garden that I grow an assortment of vegetables in. I ran a water line from my main water line out to my garden so it would make easier to water when I first moved in to my house. I had to replace the main line last year and did not reconnect the line going to the garden faucet. I left an access so that later I can if I choose to.
                              I will make a video or take some pictures this afternoon to try and explain what I am doing. I have to finish replacing my water line under the house. Currently I have polly that comes out of the ground and through the vent. So I have to drill into the foundation, pipe it through there and re-pipe it under the house as well. From there it T's off and goes strait out to my garden to a faucet. Instead of hooking the main to my garden faucet again. I was thinking about this greywater system since I have to spend all that time under the house anyways.

Comment

Working...
                              X