Crack in toilet bowl?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crack in toilet bowl?

I received a call back from the 31 bathroom condo building that I just finished working on. There is a drip coming down from the wax ring area. I don't think anyone has even used the toilet and even if they did....a wax ring leak wouldn't cause a CONSTANT drip(every 10 seconds)....unless the flapper or overflow was letting some by. Even then that small amount of water should probably go straight through the bowl outlet and down the pipe. How many of you guys have seen cracks in the bottom of the bowls? IT is a PRO-FLO toilet by the way.......(G.C. supplied)

Re: Crack in toilet bowl?

I have had helpers crack everything.

I am not sure if you did all the work yourself BUT I would go and look for sure.

Comment

Stuff happens!

Usually the cracks are more obvious I have seen them with broken bases cracked tanks etc.... Most places test the tanks with a dye. But Bowls I don't know.

Comment

I'm not familiar with the Proflo toilet but could it be a tank bolt leak running down bowl or a tank to bowl gasket leaking and doing the same thing?

A bowl crack is pretty rare so I would eliminate everything else first...

Bill

Comment

having installed more toilets than i've used, i've learned a long time ago to turn the bowl upside down prior to setting them. usually pulling them out of the box is the time i look.

typically a crack is easy to spot. the ones that are a bummer are the small split at the toilet seat holes. those leak when flushed.

still pretty rare to have a china defect that leaks. i would say less than 1% are go backs.

if there is damage caused by the leak, make sure you document the damage and take plenty of photos of the installation. fortunately the toilet is supplied by others and i would pass the buck back to them.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I had one like that a while back. I set it on a 5 gal. bucket and filled the tank and bowl up. I seen where the leak was coming from but I could not see a crack. Go figure.
            Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

ditto ty. breid........

Comment

I haven't seen cracks, but what I have seen is the pocelain plug in the bottom leak.

Comment

Several years ago

Last call of the day- stool leaking -reset

Pulled stool, flange looked good- reset- stool still leaking into basement.

Pulled again, this time in a hurry and didn't soak water out of bowl.

I'm looking the flange over again and I notice water oozing out from under the pulled stool. I wipe it up and continue to look at the flange because I KNEW that had to be the problem.

Again, water oozing out from under the pulled stool and sure enough, the water level has dropped in the bowl. turn it upside down and bingo!

Now I always look, too.

Comment

Working...
                  X