X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper Fittings With Solder

I happen to work with a number of plumbers from Britain. The other day I had a conversation about plumbing in Europe, and they told me that most copper fittings over there come with a ring filled with solder.

This weekend I went to Home Depot and was amazed that they are now offering those same fittings.

The stamp on them says "Watts", they are made in China, but do have a UPC (Uniform Plumbing Code) stamp on them as well.

Anyone have experience with these?

the dog
    the dog

Hello dog,

Yes I have heard of these but have not seen them. Also not sure of the material make up of the solder. I can't see where this is a big savings unless a plumber can't tell how much solder he needs to use.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

dog, i too have seen lots of these popping up at home depot. they sort of look like a propress fitting. years ago there was a pre-cut ring of solder that you could put in the fitting. also i remember that there is a 2 part epoxie designed to glue copper together. what else will they think of next?
      watts also has out the sharkbite fitting. 1/2'' and 3/4''. 1'' was suppose to be out already, havn't seen them yet.
      the pre-soldered fitting might work for a line with dripping water. in the past when i had a very difficult joint with water that couldn't be jetsweated. i would pre-solder the pipe and fitting dry, then wipe them and re-solder the joint. this would allow for the solder to already be in the joint. now with the water safe flux, we're really "fluxed".
      glad that i have other ways of dealing with water and copper.

rick.

Comment

Plumber and Rick,

I'm not advocating these fittings. I was just amazed that I saw them at Home Depot, after my conversation with fellow workers.

the dog
        the dog

Comment

dog,

I remember 20-30 years ago you use to be able to buy solder rings that slid on the pipe prior to assembly. I never tried it and it did not go over very well.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Dog,

I have not seen those 'new' fittings. I think though that they will be another fad like the flux w/solder was 30 years ago.

That crap was worthless junk, but somebody made money on it and our stupid super insisted on buying it. We *****ed about it and told him it was no good but he would not listen. Well, you know how it goes, you do what you have to do to get the job done. So we tossed the flux/solder junk and bummed solder and flux off the fitters (different contractor on this job) and that's how we kept working on the copper. When Dave (the super) asked the GF why he was not ordering more solder/flux He told him we didn't need it. After a couple weeks we convinced him that going back and fixing leaks or the extra time that was required to use the junk in the first place was not worth the savings. He caved in and went back to flux and roll solder.

[looks like the word crap is OK but b_itched is not ]
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

HD, Lowes and hardware stores are mecas for DIY'ers and are the perfect places to market these fittings. I can't see where a tradesman would ever need such a fitting let alone pay the extra money they cost.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

i did try this fitting one time .
                i went to help a friend add some baseboard heat and he got all the materials .
                he got them at hd and had this type of fittings and i had to try this. it works OK for someone that does not solder a lot so they do not add a lot of solder
                to the fittings . it is not for those that know how to solder .
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

If a plumber needs to use those pre-soldered fittings and rings, he needs to go take another soldering class....or maybe have his apprentice teach him lol. They are for johnny-homeowner types.

Rick, here in Alaska the Sharkbite fittings are available. I have a hard time believing we have them up here in AK but you don't down there in LA yet.

Comment

But you need them (Sharkbite fittings) in Alaska don't you?
                    I'll bet it's so damn cold there the torch won't stay lit half the time.

Just kiddin of course. I have done my share of outside work in the winter, and I don't miss it one bit. Nothing like the extreme cold up north in Canada, Alaska, or other regions, but cold enough for me.

If I had my way I'd be living and working (as little as possible) on Maui, but we have to get the kids through college before we can think of anything like that.

4 more years and counting down.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AZPlumber
                      Rick, here in Alaska the Sharkbite fittings are available. I have a hard time believing we have them up here in AK but you don't down there in LA yet.
                      az. i've used a hand full of 1/2'' and 3/4'', since thay first came out 1.5- 2 years ago. they were suppose to also have 1'' fittings out too. these are the ones i said that are not out yet.

they are basically a brass john guess fitting. so far so good.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Hello All,
                        Many thanks for letting me join this site.
                        I am a Plumber in South Wales, uk, and thoroughly enjoy reading all of the threads (quite a bit of the terminology is different, but I am getting there slowly!).
                        The soldered ring fittings are called yorkshire fittings here, and are not commonly used, mainly down to price, and personaly I think they do not look as neat.
                        Right I must dig out my conversion book ! Fahrenheit - celsius/centigrade,
                        BTU - kilo watts, imperial - metric, and I have given up on the gas side !, we measure in milibars !.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Many thanks ToUtahNow,
                            Thanks for the welcome.

Comment

I tried the pre-soldered 1/2" caps and they seem to work, however I have only used them for temporary work and not in the final perminant installation.
                              JC

Comment

Working...
                              X