Modular Home Water Pressure Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modular Home Water Pressure Problem

We're at this house and the pressure at the whole house/bibs is 35. The pressure after the main shut-off under the house is 85. No regulator under the house, but the pipes are above the insulation....

It's on a city system, but think rural. You have to leave a message at the water dept and get the working psi from the fire chief. They swear there's not a regulator after the meter. I checked another home and the pressure was 85 there.

I cut the pipe after the main shut-off and installed a pressure gauge. Initially, the pressure went to 50 and then slowly got to 85. It took a few minutes to get there.

I cut out and replaced the short section of 3/4 poly that went from the main shut-off to the first tee (going to the wh). Nothing in the pipe blocking the entire house.

The home is 20 years old, poly pipe, 1600 sq, 2 bathrooms, a 40 gallon propane State w.h., and a bear of a crawl.

Any ideas?
    (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Re: Modular Home Water Pressure Problem

C'mon, all these brainiacs and nobody can tell me what's wrong?

The meter is mechanical and I'm assuming the working parts aren't large enough to affect flow?

Has a water heater ever caused this pressure problem?

Comment

go up stream until you have 85 psi. not 50 psi then slowly up to 85 psi. if you are checking static pressure it should just be there. no lag. breid........

Comment

how would it be wh? bibs aren't hot are they? breid..............

Comment

Has the house always had this pressure problem?
          The pressure creeping from 50 to 85 sounds like a city
          distribution problem. Yet the other house has 85?
          Maybe your gauge if FUBAR.
          Try putting a gauge with 2 needles on the house
          overnight to register the highest pressure reading.
          No major leakage anywhere, I take it.
          I don't know, just peeing in the wind.

Comment

We had a similar situation a couple of times.

One was a stone on the service from the main to the meter. Turn service off at the street. remove main stop inside, put a clean bucket under/in front of it, and open it at the street. Dont try to go through a valve inside, leave the end of the service unobstructed. Even a full port might not let an obstruction pass through.

Other time was a kink in the service outside underground. Since your pressure builds slowly, it almost has to be one or the other.

If nothing shows in the bucket, and you dont have full flow with no main valve inside, start digging. (You can compute your gallons per minute @ a given pipe size and psi, to verify volume. Measure the time it takes to fill a 5 gallon bucket)

Comment

It's been my experience that an obstruction or kink
              causes just the opposite to occur. When a valve is
              opened the pressure starts out high because the lines
              are fully pressurized, then it almost immediately drops
              because the obstruction won't allow it to keep up
              with the flow exiting the valve.

Comment

I went to a house that had low pressure everywhere
                after cutting the line loose at the meter to test the flow , and found the city to be fine..
                I asked the neighbor if i could use his faucet
                i hooked up a hose to his and to the hose bib on the house i was working on ...and blew out a 6" stick back to the meter...
                hooked it back up and every one was happy

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
                  It's been my experience that an obstruction or kink
                  causes just the opposite to occur. When a valve is
                  opened the pressure starts out high because the lines
                  are fully pressurized, then it almost immediately drops
                  because the obstruction won't allow it to keep up
                  with the flow exiting the valve.
                  Sounds correct. Please excuse me, I have one heck of a head cold, and am a bit fuzzy today. I assumed that when Drip Trip stated that the pressure rose from 50 to 80, that it was immediatley after he installed the gauge, and then turned the water on. I would guess that the water then was fully pressurizing the line, but pushing past an obstruction, taking time to do it. Either way, the problem could be isolated by starting at the main entering the house, and using process of elimination, one step at a time.

BTW, excellent idea about flushing backwards. Just remember to eliminate the vac. breaker in the hose bibb. You could also use air from a tow behind compressor.

Comment

I had a simaliar situation a few weeks back. The only difference was the Hot water lines had very low pressure. I tried everything I could think of. I ended up blowing air thru the lines. Got enough pressure to shower. Referred them to a plumber ( I was doing a favor for girlfriends niece ) Problem is still not fully fixed. This after 3 licensed plumbers have been out and charged.

There fore I am really intrested in the suggestions that come from here

Comment

I had a call last week where there was very low water pressure on the hot side of the system and the water wasn't getting very hot. Pulled t&p at the water heater and got super hot water and good flow. Pulled hot nipple and low and behold the heater had a dip tube on the hot water outlet. Finally after 5 years sediment buildup clogged it up at the bottom of the tube. For 5 years these people were sucking water from the bottom of their water heater.

Comment

Originally posted by handybull View Post
                        I had a simaliar situation a few weeks back. The only difference was the Hot water lines had very low pressure. I tried everything I could think of. I ended up blowing air thru the lines. Got enough pressure to shower. Referred them to a plumber ( I was doing a favor for girlfriends niece ) Problem is still not fully fixed. This after 3 licensed plumbers have been out and charged.

There fore I am really intrested in the suggestions that come from here

This problem is the build up of rust in a nipple on top of the W/H. Most likely
                        Last edited by saysflushable; 09-29-2009, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                          how would it be wh? bibs aren't hot are they? breid..............
                          No, but the wh is the first fixture....I was reaching. Its also the old style mobile home model with the inlet near the bottom of the tank.

The pressure has been bad for at least 4 years. The water meter is 1 year old.

The water pressure does build slowly and drops almost 40psi in 50'.

I tried to sell a repipe w/service, but I have a feeling this place is a summer/stop over place.

argh

Comment

pressure test the line before the meter, maybe a leaky service pipe and the check valve in the meter is keeping it pressurized to an extent

Comment

I had a similar problem with a manufactured home and it was the new-fangled water softener that was killing the pressure. I bypassed it and all was well. The customer called the supplier and got it repaired and I went back out and tied it back in.

Comment

Working...
                              X