Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Connecting to lateral Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Connecting to lateral

    So. CA
    Need a little guidance. I have to opportunity to take my Aunts house off their septic tanks and connect them to street laterals. Does anybody here have experience with this? I don't!! But I'm not afraid to try I realize that you know how much someone knows about a subject by the questions they ask....this should be amusing then...

    Obviously, we will have the tanks pumped. I've had the city verify the location of the lateral up the the sidewalk.

    Will have digalert do their thing.

    Can I run my pipe through the septic tank and just back fill the tank? BTW, I'm not sure of the septic tank material.

    What material can be used to fill a septic tank? It would seem to me, after pumping it would be like any other void that needs to be filled.

    How do you folks charge for trenching? Do you have a formula for length & depth? My buddy owns and is well versed in using a bobcat.

    Anything else?????

  • #2
    Re: Connecting to lateral

    Originally posted by JeffH View Post
    So. CA
    Need a little guidance. I have to opportunity to take my Aunts house off their septic tanks and connect them to street laterals. Does anybody here have experience with this? I don't!! But I'm not afraid to try I realize that you know how much someone knows about a subject by the questions they ask....this should be amusing then...

    Obviously, we will have the tanks pumped. I've had the city verify the location of the lateral up the the sidewalk.

    Will have digalert do their thing.

    Can I run my pipe through the septic tank and just back fill the tank? BTW, I'm not sure of the septic tank material.

    What material can be used to fill a septic tank? It would seem to me, after pumping it would be like any other void that needs to be filled.

    How do you folks charge for trenching? Do you have a formula for length & depth? My buddy owns and is well versed in using a bobcat.

    Anything else?????
    Best thing to do is call your local plumbing inspector, find out what he wants. Codes vary widely.
    As far as running a pipe through the tank, why would you want to do that? Bad idea. Cut it off and turn it where it exits the house. We fill them with fill.

    "Anything else?" Add some cleanouts. Dont get in too deep. Know when to say when. A mans got to know his limitations.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Connecting to lateral

      QUOTE=RealLivePlumber;255495]Best thing to do is call your local plumbing inspector, find out what he wants. Codes vary widely.
      As far as running a pipe through the tank, why would you want to do that? Bad idea. Cut it off and turn it where it exits the house. We fill them with fill.

      "Anything else?" Add some cleanouts. Dont get in too deep. Know when to say when. A mans got to know his limitations.[/QUOTE]

      You will need to do some math.
      Either pull a manhole or ask the city what the invert is at the connection
      and make sure you will be able to get enough pitch on the line to get to
      the city connection.
      Your basic pitch/slope problem formula is
      D_
      L P

      Drop= Length times pitch
      Pitch= Length divided by drop
      Length= Drop divided by pitch

      Q: Drop if the length is 200' at a pitch of 1/8"?

      A:LxP or 25"
      Hope this helps.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Connecting to lateral

        is this job in venice

        first thing i would dig is the location of the lateral. make sure it's there and get the depth.

        then i would run it to the house while still connected to the septic.

        you can then get inspection and a test on the underground while still connected. when it's time to swap over, all you have is 1 connection and it's finished.

        as far as fill, it needs to be pumped out and typically filled with sand/ gravel. you might find it easier to pump it with slurry.

        rick.
        phoebe it is

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Connecting to lateral

          why not consider using a directional boring crew to bore the line in and do the connections @ each end. save yourself the trouble of digging up your entire yard and fight the settling for the next 5+years.

          with boring you only have 2 holes to deal with. and the boring crew will most likely dig up the tap to see the elevation of the lateral. and and make the connections if they are licensed to do so. if not licensed just have a plumber come out and do it for you. putting in your own sewer is not a DIY project!

          i do boring every day , i know that this is the best plan depending on distance/ depth.

          Thanks
          Larry

          Comment


          • #6
            Directional boring

            I've not heard of this and I'll have to explore further. Thanks for the info!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Connecting to lateral

              Originally posted by BCPLUMBER View Post
              why not consider using a directional boring crew to bore the line in and do the connections @ each end. save yourself the trouble of digging up your entire yard and fight the settling for the next 5+years.

              with boring you only have 2 holes to deal with. and the boring crew will most likely dig up the tap to see the elevation of the lateral. and and make the connections if they are licensed to do so. if not licensed just have a plumber come out and do it for you. putting in your own sewer is not a DIY project!

              i do boring every day , i know that this is the best plan depending on distance/ depth.

              Thanks
              Larry
              I find You a boring Guy. What are some typical charges! Have a hoe Myself,never had a job bored. Tanks Tool
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Connecting to lateral

                typical charges for boring in a 4" on grade line varies greatly but on average around here $12-18/ft depending on length and known soil conditions. meaning sand, hardpan clay, blue clay, cobble, ect. we have all of these types in our area. these prices are including material.
                price also varies if we are just doing the bore or the entire job.

                if you have never had a job bored i would definitely suggest it.
                we do bore up to 700ft in one shot.
                before we got into boring we dug absolutely everything.

                Thanks
                Larry

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Connecting to lateral

                  I've done this a few times and yes find your lateral first. Some cities require a certain type of lateral clean out In Fontana they wanted a clay wye at the lateral with pipe up to a yard box, but only straight off the wye at a 45 degree angle all the way to the surface. (weird) And after pumping, many types of back fill are allowed, ask the inspector for suggestions, but in Fontana the old tank and pit were in the back yard with limited access so I had it filled with slurry worked great.
                  ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Connecting to lateral

                    Call a lisenced plumbing contractor to do the job , Installing sewers takes knowage and experance , and you have to work safe , I have been call to homeowners atemp to replace sewers before , no matter how much they read and think they understand , experance counts for a whole lot more , to much underground cruve balls

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Connecting to lateral

                      Around here, we have to bust the bottom of the tank so it won't hold water before the fill.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Connecting to lateral

                        Originally posted by lmpg View Post
                        Around here, we have to bust the bottom of the tank so it won't hold water before the fill.
                        Same here.

                        Pools get three 24"X24".Shallow,Middle and Deep Sections.

                        I can't see them giving a guy a hard time when he goes to the extra expense of pouring it full of slurry.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Connecting to lateral

                          what's your def. of slurry??
                          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Connecting to lateral

                            Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                            what's your def. of slurry??
                            Two sack mix

                            Buenno?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Connecting to lateral

                              Why do you want to take your Aunt off septic?

                              If the system is working, I'd keep it.
                              I just got the first sewer bill I've ever got in my life (always been on septic)
                              I'm thinking septic is much cheaper in the long run.

                              even if she needs a new leach field, and if code allows you to, I would run the #'s.
                              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X