Lets talk penetration....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk penetration....

Now get your minds out of the gutter, oh, the babe on the far left is my future wife, she's just not aware of it yet.

What are some of the ways you guys penetrate a concrete basement wall with a 3/4" water supply? Just looking for new ways or products that you might use to keep it water tight and code.

Thanks
    Last edited by Tyman; 10-04-2009, 04:40 PM.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: Lets talk penetration....

I have roto hammers with bitts and core drills. then PVC SLEEVE. Is this what You're asking?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
      I have roto hammers with bitts and core drills. then PVC SLEEVE. Is this what You're asking?
      I think he was asking if you approve of his future wife.

As far as the sub-subject.
      What do you think about link seal?

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        Same here if it's residential

Commercial I'll prolly core bore and use Linkseal

Thanks for the new screensaver TY!

Comment

I like link seals. But, they are expensive and labor intensive. As an alternative, I just got a sample Holdrite Hydroflame System wall sleeve.
          http://www.presealedsystems.com/
          Slap it on the wall form and after the pour it's ready to receive a pipe (just like the models pictured ). Potential savings on the cost of installing link seals. Now I'd got to try it and see how it works.
          They also make deck sleeves.

Comment

our backhoe guys stub galvanized through a pvc sleeve to keep settling from sheering the pipe.
            No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

On residential, do you guys just do the pvc sleeve then caulk it? I have a customer that is just horrified about the thought of a leak coming in around the pipe and was just wondering if their were other products of methods to use other than link seal. It's a good product just a little pricey.

Comment

I'll tell you what's pricey....digging up a wall penetration 5 feet deep that wasn't properly sealed

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                  I'll tell you what's pricey....digging up a wall penetration 5 feet deep that wasn't properly sealed
                  Hooah!!!

Comment

I usually pack oakum between the copper and PVC sleeve pretty deep then caulk the last half inch with silicone or roofing tar

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      I usually pack oakum between the copper and PVC sleeve pretty deep then caulk the last half inch with silicone or roofing tar
                      That's what I wanted to know. Thanks

Comment

Oakum and tar is a technology Christopher Columbus would use, Bill. Link seals with stainless hardware is a little more failsafe.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                          Oakum and tar is a technology Christopher Columbus would use, Bill. Link seals with stainless hardware is a little more failsafe.
                          LOL! yea, but Columbus discovered a New World using that technology

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
                            Have Two hot tar kettles, Watch it buster!
                            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I use "lead wool" (just like steel wool, but lead) Pack it tight. then oakum, the 2 part epoxy, an inch deep. (Sika brand polyurethane caulk is good too.)

Make sure the pipe is centered, If it is laying on the bottom of the penetration, its a leaker for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X