X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65-R Problems

I have a 65-RA that is not cutting deep enough even though the dies seem to be sharp. Could the block inside on the 'open close' lever be worn? It looks ok. I am already cheating the 'std' mark toward the top.
    Last edited by rj2233; 10-06-2009, 05:25 PM. Reason: .

Re: 65-R Problems

change the dies.
    sigpic

Comment

There are a couple of things that may be causing the oversize thread you are reporting. Certainly, dies would be one of the most likely causes.
      Even though they may look sharp, worn dies will contribute to oversize threads. However, with worn dies, you generally start to see evidence of poor thread quality (tearing) as well? Another possible contributor to oversize threads (if your threader has been in the field for several years) is a worn cam plate. Your dies rest against this component inside the threader and as the cam plate wears, the dies are able to move back in the the die head. As each die moves back slightly due to cam wear, an oversize thread is possible. If you have replaced the dies and the oversize condition still exists, this would be the part I would inspect next.

Ridge Tool Technical Service

Comment

That was my concern, although It's rarely used now it has It certianly has seen use over the course of it's life. The dies cut good, it's not unusually difficult to thread, & the cut quaility seems to be good, but I will try to get some new dies & see if that helps. If the cam plate is worn I don't suppose that ridgid will replace that will they?
        BTW Any idea on how old this tool is?

Comment

Working...
        X