X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ward flex or gas tight?

So far have only used gas tight. Are the couplings interchangeable? have a gas tite card.inspectors accept that with ward flex? Tanks tool
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Ward flex or gas tight?

i took all 3 classes. gastite, tracpipe, wardflex.

i stock a large inventory of gastite.

minimal for tracpipe, and nothing for wardflex.

i like gastite the most and wardflex the least.

nothing is interchangeable with any of the proprietary products. except for the striker plates and floppies. fittings and pipe are not.

install a threaded/ ips coupling between the 2 dissimilar products when making a transition between the 2 brands.

you're suppose to have a license for each brand of product you purchase or install.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I agree with PP, just don't forget to bond the csst if you use it.

Comment

All i have used for the past 6 years is Wardflex. In my area it is a bit cheaper than the others. That is the main reason i have been using it.

Comment

Gastite here. It was the first available, and 2 local supply houses stock it.
          Seems to be a bit cheaper than Tracpipe.

One advantage to Tracpipe over Gastite is that the run length is greater for the Trac. I don't know why. But if you are in a spot where a couple of feet make a difference, it may get you out of a hole.

Comment

Thank's I'll stick with Gas tight. I should know this. Are My options in ca.- drive a ground,
            ground to cold water pipe, go to Service panel ? this Marin Co.
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

None of the above. I won't take the liability.
              sigpic

Comment

Thank's Irish, I'm passing this one off to My Bud that's a Licensed plumber,I needed to hear that! It's an appt. house and I only have 2 mill insurance.

Comment

I'm with NHmaster & Toolaholic, I wouldn't put any of these products in my house. The only thing that comes to mind when I see this being used is that someone was too lazy or did not have the expertise to install pipe. It's very expensive per foot and looks like something that Home Cheapo would carry for your average homeowner. I won't use it.

Comment

csst is pretty much the same as a gas flex. the difference is you install your own ends.

i've installed 10's of thousands gas flexes without an issue. think of all the gas ranges, dryers, water heaters, furnaces, decorative log lighters, and anything else gas related.

if the line is properly installed and properly protected, there's no reason to have to lose sleep over it.

california was on the fence with it for years. all political. not because of defects.

for those that have taken the classes and know how to properly and safely install it, you're a step ahead.

for those that haven't don't knock it.

where would electricians be without flex?

the same place we're at. cutting and threading every piece of pipe.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

All three of the big CSST manufacturers have had to settle lawsuits regarding product integrity and though all three claim that their product is now safe, they claimed that before the lawsuits. I'm going to err on the side of caution. As far as appliance flex lines are concerned they are not allowed to be any longer than 36" and must be confined to use at the appliance served, not concealed in walls or strung across the joists in the basement. I realize that in places like California and down south where almost no one has a basement, installation of black iron pipe can be time consumong and difficult but I have to ask this question again. What did we all do before CSST?
                      sigpic

Comment

I've had an experience with CSST and lightning strikes. Go back to threading pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                          What did we all do before CSST?
                          what did we all do before no hub?

i bet less than 25% of the plumbers here have properly poured a lead joint.

what did electricians do before flex?

hvac guys before flex ducts?

the industry has changed since indoor plumbing

calif. just adopted pex for domestic applications. more political than problematic.

where were we before hdpe underground gas pipe? this pipe should last forever. it's pretty much replaced all underground gas pipe.

even or steel gas pipe needs to be properly grounded.

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

I use Wardflex and haven't had a problem with it. I agree with you Rick, nothing wrong with change. I say change with the times or get left behind. Our profession has always been changing, this is nothing new.

Comment

Rick's got a point there. Change is good but few are willing to embrace it.
                              Maybe it's just me... something about flexible gas piping. I've seen it on big job sites mostly new townhouses and look at the bend radius and generally poor installation techniques with excessive runs and pressure drops.
                              The first thing I think is, is there an inspector that's going to sign off on this or does he get a coffee with the GC and then sign off on it ?
                              I'm not implying anything other that some of these jobs in the NE area look like someone just threw this stuff together. Probably the only right part of the install is the ends where it will pass a leak test. Maybe the poor workmanship is just in the New England states...

Comment

Working...
                              X