X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why duct tape is not so good...

I was getting ready to set this hot tub, when I noticed gray (actually gray) water in the tub box area, and the trap had water in it. That was the first alert signal. The second was when I ran a load of laundry, the water came out of the hot tub drain, and filled the hole in. Another alert was the closet bend slowly filled with water.

I camera'd the line and saw duct tape blocking about 20% ot the line, and 50% filled with slurry.The closet bend was popping out of the fitting allowing sludge to build up in the dirt...yuck.

Jack hammer time!
    Attached Files

Re: Why duct tape is not so good...

YUM

The smell had to be favorable as well.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Duck tape is fine for it's intended uses . If someone poured stucco into a clean out would You say stucco is bad?
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Note to hack
        Use the whole roll..

Comment

This mess just keeps getting worse...this had to have been done by the contractor, I just cant see a plumber doing this.

Here goes...the toilet vent (4x2wye) is draining the hotub, the hot tub is vented through the bath sink (wetvent). The laundry tub and the wash machine drain into the bath sink drain, which is the toilet vent...F'd up enough for you???

Basically the hot tub, washer, laundry tub, and bath sink all drain into the 2 inch toilet vent.

Amazing...

Comment

Hey NIP, was the duct tape holding the pipes together? Or was it used as an alternative for pipe/gasket lube?
            I have in the distant past heard of some plumbers using duct tape in a pinch instead of pipe/gasket lube when doing underground C/I.

Comment

Looks like a job for Super Plumber. Go get 'em NIP. And remember, Super Plumber charges accordingly. BTW, be sure to wash your hands when you're done. Gloves are permeable.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                This mess just keeps getting worse...this had to have been done by the contractor, I just cant see a plumber doing this.

Here goes...the toilet vent (4x2wye) is draining the hotub, the hot tub is vented through the bath sink (wetvent). The laundry tub and the wash machine drain into the bath sink drain, which is the toilet vent...F'd up enough for you???

Basically the hot tub, washer, laundry tub, and bath sink all drain into the 2 inch toilet vent.

Amazing...

I do tile,drywall,electrical,framing
                I know plumbing too.

I wonder what his framing and electrical look like

Comment

Originally posted by indeepinchicago View Post
                  Hey NIP, was the duct tape holding the pipes together? Or was it used as an alternative for pipe/gasket lube?
                  I have in the distant past heard of some plumbers using duct tape in a pinch instead of pipe/gasket lube when doing underground C/I.
                  It was an aid to push the pipe in....thankfully the only thing going down was the wash machine, as the bathroom is being finished. None the less I wear latex.

Comment

Duct tape was created for temperary binding and repairs during WWII and was never intended for permanent construction.Perhaps the funniest comedian using duct tape skits was Red Green.
                    http://www.pbs.org/redgreen/

Comment

Originally posted by sunworksco View Post
                      Duct tape was created for temperary binding and repairs during WWII and was never intended for permanent construction.Perhaps the funniest comedian using duct tape skits was Red Green.
                      http://www.pbs.org/redgreen/
                      Great show!

Comment

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy...
                        I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Working...
                        X