Propane water heater

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane water heater

Had a call this evening for a water heater that "exploded". I go out to look at it, and the woman leads me to her laundry closet says the water heater is next to the washer, and walks away.

next to the washer, is a wall. I think to myself "this isn't good" Slid the washer forward a bit, and I see an 18" by 24" hole in the wall.

Turns out, the wall was built after the water heater was set in place, no way to access it without doing demo work. This woman doesn't want the wall torn down, but wants her water heater replaced. And since it "exploded" she wants an electric one put in rather than the propane "You can just use the dryers plug-in for that".

I gave her a price on a new Propane Bradford White, and got told to leave.

what a wasted trip.

The "explosion" was her son in law deciding that the burner wasn't coming on because there was air in the line, that needed to be bled. He did this with a cigarette in his mouth. now he refuses to come back to her house, so she want an electric water heater installed.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: Propane water heater

If she asked for the conversion, and you know you can blank plate that former dryer outlet box (220v 30amp circuit, perfect for an electric water heter),

why did you give her a price on a new propane knowing someone almost
    got seriously hurt?

I'm trying to figure out why you didn't honor her request.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

because she wanted the dryer and water heater both on the circuit. she wasn't removing the dryer, she wanted them both at once.

she also wanted the water heater replaced through an 18x24 hole in the wall.

and to clarify, the water heater was in there tightly, not a place I could climb into to work.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Ahh, the more information helps.

Definitely cannot do a split off one breaker, if panel is far away then even more expense.

Two things will happen:

She'll either find someone that knows enough about electric and hack a connection off the dryer circuit

or

she'll end up putting a propane water heater back in, even though you did no wrong...

Sometimes it's the snapshot in time we cannot control with one's attitude that has to go through a repeated process in order to understand.

At one time I had a friend that would sometimes end up with calls that went through my shop first, and sure enough, he'd get them for a higher rate. !?!?

It was the cycle of numerous plumbers stating ranges or not answering the phone and the customer getting tired of the process.

I always want to be the last one called because I'm a good closer and I'm really good at getting commitments over the phone. Persuasion is king in sales technique.

It's not when you want to do something, it's now and what time we have a truck heading towards your house as we speak.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Mojourneyman, you did the right thing. You gave her a quote to do the job the correct way, the safe way.
          If she didn't like it too bad, then walk. I would have done the same thing.

Comment

at the moment we're so busy not getting the job doesn't hurt my feelings much, it was just a frustrating trip.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
              Had a call this evening for a water heater that "exploded". I go out to look at it, and the woman leads me to her laundry closet says the water heater is next to the washer, and walks away.

next to the washer, is a wall. I think to myself "this isn't good" Slid the washer forward a bit, and I see an 18" by 24" hole in the wall.

Turns out, the wall was built after the water heater was set in place, no way to access it without doing demo work. This woman doesn't want the wall torn down, but wants her water heater replaced. And since it "exploded" she wants an electric one put in rather than the propane "You can just use the dryers plug-in for that".

I gave her a price on a new Propane Bradford White, and got told to leave.

what a wasted trip.

The "explosion" was her son in law deciding that the burner wasn't coming on because there was air in the line, that needed to be bled. He did this with a cigarette in his mouth. now he refuses to come back to her house, so she want an electric water heater installed.
              Why would You EVER do Business with this family?
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I bet that was in a trailer.

You would have been better off selling her a smoke detector. She will need it eventually.
                Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Lol, no not a trailer, though it was an older home.
                  and I don't work for myself, I work for a reasonably small company, which will not turn away work. we might price ourselves out of the running on some jobs that we don't really want, but in the end, if they'll pay, we'll do the work. But, i'm also going to protect my *** and my license. I won't do something I think is dangerous.

Comment

Working...
                  X