Suspended water heater

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspended water heater

pretty tired at this point, and started thinking, so i'm going to post and pass out.

I was considering installing a tankless exterior water heater for my house for the space savings. But in my stupor something else crossed my mind. I Could suspend a lowboy from the ceiling in the corner of my garage using 5/8" allthread and either a pan designed for this, or a pan sitting on unistrut that gets held up by the allthread. I'd have to special order a couple of earthquake straps to keep it from tipping over for any reason.

So basically, toss some ideas at me, I like to think about how I Could do things in my home, a lot of the ideas fall by the wayside but some of them even get implemented.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: Suspended water heater

Here's what I do with my house:

I pretend the wife is a customer calling in for a estimate. I look at the job and give her a price. Since its always after hours and weekends, its double/triple time and 300% markup on the price.

If she goes for it, the job gets done, by and by. If the price is too high, tuff luck....she'll have to wait until I find my bike key.
    (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
      pretty tired at this point, and started thinking, so i'm going to post and pass out.

I was considering installing a tankless exterior water heater for my house for the space savings. But in my stupor something else crossed my mind. I Could suspend a lowboy from the ceiling in the corner of my garage using 5/8" allthread and either a pan designed for this, or a pan sitting on unistrut that gets held up by the allthread. I'd have to special order a couple of earthquake straps to keep it from tipping over for any reason.

So basically, toss some ideas at me, I like to think about how I Could do things in my home, a lot of the ideas fall by the wayside but some of them even get implemented.
      EQ STRAPS 1/2" ELEC. EMT cut to length hammer both ends flat for 2 1/2" drill for 3/8" leg bolts and washers. works great! post pix please
      Last edited by toolaholic; 10-15-2009, 08:40 AM. Reason: I PASSED OUT!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

yes

i have been using the ceilings on jobs for 40 years. make it good and solid, your good to go. all the rules on the ground work in the air. breid.........

Comment

5/8" threaded rod is a bit over-kill...I'd go with 1/2". One in each corner is MORE then enough for a lowboy.

Comment

Originally posted by vette850 View Post
            5/8" threaded rod is a bit over-kill...I'd go with 1/2". One in each corner is MORE then enough for a lowboy.
            I was thinking the same 1/2"is plenty
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I've always been pretty bad about overkill. what do you guys use Under the heater? I was thinking unistrut but if there's a pan designed for it i'd rather use that.
              No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I am also the king of overkill....but being a pipe fitter also, I know how much weight 1/2" can support...times 4. I would do unistrut and two layers of 3/4" plywood on top. Just place the pan on top of that.

Comment

3/8" Allthread @ 4 corners, Unistrut and 2 layers of 3/4" plywood.

I just bid a set of prints last night with this set-up for a 20 gal electric.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                  X