X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people insist on buying JUNK!

Just curious as to what the majority of you do when a homeowner wants to supply their own material, (ex. faucet, toilet). Even after you tell them what to buy, when you show up they usually always have a plastic faucet or a toilet-in-a-box. I am half way thinking about telling them to take that garbage back to the place they bought it and refusing to install it. After all, it does impact our reputations. I bring this up because I am supposed to install a Water Boss softener tomorrow. Even after I told him the best thing that he could do with it is to set it out with the rest of the trash for the garbage man, he still wants me to come hook it up.
    Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Re: Why do people insist on buying JUNK!

I gently chide them about their poor decision making skills
    and leave them with a stern warning on the receipt.
    When you call back in 2-3 weeks because you saved $11.88
    you pay for all involved labor and materials,Again.

Comment

my invoice states that there is no warranty on parts and/ or fixtures provided by the homowner.

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
        my invoice states that there is no warranty on parts and/ or fixtures provided by the homowner.
        Same thing here, no warranty on parts and or fixtures supplied by the home owner. Only exception is if they used something like 800-buy-Moen to get the repair parts.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I think there is a number of reasons why people buy low quality items,

one is the attempt to make there money go farther.
          and there could be jsut a real shortage of finances,

they have never really been learned that quality is normally worth the cost in the long term, most of society is "Enjoy Now thinking", and the other thing is it is disposable, so it is hard to come to a understanding of what is the best value,
          I have to admit some times I wonder what is the best value, spend big bucks for name brand and quality, and when it does go down, no one has a repair part or the parts are nearly as much as a new replacement),

Is what I call the Walmart mentality, and that everything needs to be cheaper or lower cost, simply why is there so little US made items, and when you compare cost of US made and the Chinese copy's, look at the price difference, and if one is only looking at the price and the shape of it, why would one buy the more expensive,

and even tho your complaining about it, tell me have you ever bought by price? have you ever bought a foreign made tools, when a similar US made tool was made? Where is the price range of tires you buy?

and to continue with the thought in practice, even the quality of US made and what was High quality is not what it was a few years ago, and for the most part the quality of "JUNK" is usually much better than what it was a few years ago,

and even name brand items for what ever the reason (some is government mandate) is going to more plastic and not metal parts, It is Hard to know what is good or poor now days as what appears that most all of it is junk out there compared to what was produced 10, 20, 40 years ago,

and you have the same discussion ever day nearly on this board, what piping system is better, Copper or Pex? few will disagree that CI Drain is the Cadillac of drains, but is it better, longer lasting? than PVC or ABS?

and one more thing is for some how long or will it out last me and my needs,
          so if some one is not planning on staying very long or to just get up to look good, a cheap faucet or fixture may be all that is necessary.

and on the other side of things, how many times have you pulled out perfectly good items to dumpster them as they were not the "IN THING" and a new style was needed to please the person?
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Drives me crazy when people want me to install junk. I usually look it over, and make a decision from there. For instance, those cheap plastic lav drain assy's. I usually talk them into letting me install a Wolverine Brass 17 Ga. I explain to them that I will be back to install it in a few weeks anyway. You might as well let me do it now, it'll save you a service call.

Comment

Plastic pop-up assemblies can DIE.

I will install their junk all day long. Every time I get called about their junk it is billable. If they have a warranty or quality issue I just tell them to take it up with the store they bought it from.

If they buy a toilet, garbage disposal, water heater, softener, ect from me, I own it. It their garbage disposal even makes a weird grunt I go and see what is going on for free. We stand behind what we sell, period.

The customer is really paying for service in some ways. Some wiser people know this and gladly pay a little extra for better quality and service.

I installed a Bosch Certified Pre Owned tankless water heater a while back. Two other plumbers turned it down. I installed it knowing that if their was a problem with it I would be compensated for it and the customer was advised of this. I have been back once so far and was paid for it.
              Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I think I just need to change my way of thinking. Less quality products equals additional work. I am tired of these Bradford White water heaters lasting so long. From now on everyone gets an A.O. Smith.
                Distractions are everywhere, don't lose sight of your dream.

Comment

like ty

i would rather they buy their own stuff. so much of the stuff is junk. or at least it should be called biodegradable, as it is such a short life. breid..............

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                    Just curious as to what the majority of you do when a homeowner wants to supply their own material, (ex. faucet, toilet). Even after you tell them what to buy, when you show up they usually always have a plastic faucet or a toilet-in-a-box. I am half way thinking about telling them to take that garbage back to the place they bought it and refusing to install it. After all, it does impact our reputations. I bring this up because I am supposed to install a Water Boss softener tomorrow. Even after I told him the best thing that he could do with it is to set it out with the rest of the trash for the garbage man, he still wants me to come hook it up.
                    Same reason some contractors would buy a cheap camera system over the See Snake to save a buck, but soon later they realize it costs them more money in the long run.

Here is something out of a 1917 Ohio state plumbing code book.

Plumbing
                    Definition
                    Plumbing is the art of installing in buildings the pipes, fixtures and other apparatus for introducing the water supply and removing liquid and water-carried wastes. It must be installed in accordance with scientific principles and natural laws.
                    Relation to Health
                    The value of plumbing to public health is important because it removes human wastes from the immediate neighborhood of buildings. Plumbing also furnishes the opportunity for liberal consumption and use of pure wholesome water for drinking, bathing, culinary and other domestic purposes.
                    Inferior Stops, Valves and Fixtures
                    A cheap grade of stop and waste cocks, valves and fixtures often used in the installation is a false economy and expensive practice. inconvenience, annoyance, waste of water and continual repairs are the resulting penalties from this practice.
                    Low First Cost Mistaken Economy
                    A second class plumbing and drainage system in cost will prove itself a second class system. A year or so in service will reveal the inefficiency of the fixture, device or construction. Discomfort, inconvenience, cost of repairs, foul odors, insanitary and unhealthful conditions are the resulting penalties which the unfortunate occupant must pay.

Comment

[QUOTE=SewerRatz;257714]Same reason some contractors would buy a cheap camera system over the See Snake to save a buck, but soon later they realize it costs them more money in the long run.

are you talking about me?
                      the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

[QUOTE=Jerad;257721]
                        Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        Same reason some contractors would buy a cheap camera system over the See Snake to save a buck, but soon later they realize it costs them more money in the long run.

are you talking about me?
                        Nah I would not bust bad on you Jerad. But I bet you would agree right?

Comment

Here is the thing about people buying cheaper stuff, the marketing makes them feel they are getting a better product for a cheaper price. Some of them junk faucets look really good in style, and some people go by how it looks no matter how bad of a reputation the product has in durability. As plumbers we need to educate the consumer that the hardware stuff they buy is junk, tell them the differences between the faucet they buy at the hardware store and the one you have to offer.

Its like when I bought my SeeSnake 17 years ago, I went to the International Waste Haulers Show Two years in a row the first year I looked good and hard at every brand of camera that was out there. DeepSee had this amazing camera that could go through 4" P-traps and push out to 500 feet. They also had a functioning camera at the booth and the beat the daylights out of it on the concrete floor I mean with all their might they slammed that camera head on the floor. I was impressed. Thing was it cost over 12K and my dad was not ready to pull the trigger on that amount.

So comes the second time I went to the show. I went to all the other manufactures of the camera systems to see if anyone had something nearly as good as the DeepSee system. Each booth I went to I asked them to beat it on the floor. Their reply was are you crazy do you want to break it? One guy did as we asked but he said he forgot to bring a monitor for his system, so we had no idea if his camera survived. I had a feeling it broke in the first hour he was there and hid the screen.

Well after a seeking out all the systems the only one that still impressed me was the DeepSee from last year. So I went to their booth with instructions from my father to try to talk them down something like a 10% discount or something. Well I was pleasantly surprised they had a smaller system that can do 300 feet go through 3" p-traps and was reasonably priced for around 5k or so and they beat the heck out of this one too. Well as an educated buyer I bought this system which is now the full sized Ridgid SeeSnake. I still use this camera only replaced the original prototype transmitter in the unit and replaced the push rod once withing the first 5 years due to a learning curve of pushing it down the sewer with out buckling the pushrod. I only did that once in my lifetime.

So the moral of my long story is you do get what you pay for as long as you make an educated decision.

Comment

so Ron, are you saying we should all beat Josh with a seesnake to see if we can break it! cool! talk about a powerful testimonial.
                            the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Originally posted by Devine Plumbing View Post
                              Remember, wether it works or not, cheaper is better. That gives the homeowner something to ***** at you about too. Just being a wise *** here but it seems most people look at the price, not the value or how well/bad a product is made. That is too bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X