X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Water Out Of Heater's Cold Supply

A cold water supply line was cut into the horizontal cold 1-1/4" line in between two 100gal heaters.

The added line is 15' of 3/4" overhead horizontal before dropping down the wall 8' to w/c and lav.

Lav and toilet are drawing hot water back through the cold supply of the second water heater.Draws cold when I close cold supply on heater #2 leaving #1 open.There is a circ pump on #2,no effect to outcome circ valve open or closed,pump running or not.

2" water main is horizontal above garage attic with access so there is no guessing on crossed waters.

The cold main is 2" on the horizontal as stated before.
    2x1.5x1.5 tee.Run of the tee goes on ahead to feed the rest of the home.
    1.5x1.25x1.25 tee at first heater branch points straight down through attic 5' to connect to heater #1.
    The run of the same tee continues 5' horizontal then turns down and goes the same 5' through the attic to connect to heater #2.It is in the middle of this piece the line was cut into.It draws Hot water.

I fortunately have the solution by pulling the cold water off the 2" line upstream of the heater's tee.
    I would not have wanted to put a swing check on the horizontal feed to #2 before it dropped down to the heater.

I do not fully understand how this could be happening.Even though I easily found the fix.Next time I will be challenged further and I'd like to know.
    I'll be calling a heater rep tomorrow as well.

Maybe someone can learn from this as well.

Sorry I don't have pictures.Getting the job done in a timely fashion was more of a priority to me on this one.

Thanks Guys
    Adam

Re: Hot Water Out Of Heater's Cold Supply

The years of experience in Your guts and hands, made the right call on their own!

Your head, just hasn't caught up yet. The term is smart hands
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Before you made the modification, were you able to purge the hot water out of the 3/4" line by running it for a while?

Comment

venturi action
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
          Before you made the modification, were you able to purge the hot water out of the 3/4" line by running it for a while?
          We have scheduled remedy for next week.
          It's a total of 25' of 3/4.I had it running for a long while.

Tool,
          Venturi is the same term I used while Utah was giving thought.

It was obvious that there was heat rise/transfer all the way up and back to the 2X1.5 TEE and then approximately 2' in either direction of the main the top half was warm.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            venturi action
            Dang youse guys using big California words. What's that mean?
            (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Working...
            X