Plumbing School

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing School

I start next week. Ive been working as a helper for the past few years. Start plumbing/heating class full time for the next 6 months, next week.

Im pumped. Anyone have any advice??

Brian

Re: Plumbing School

Work hard, be honest, be proud. Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

Learn about everything

Find out your strong points

Move with them whether or not it means changing jobs to fulfill that.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

not to be a party pooper, but 6 months of school is only a fraction of the hours you need to to learn the classroom part of the trade.

the good part is you're excited about the trade. learn as much as you can and get into a speciality that you can excel at. sort of like a dr. getting into a specialty field.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

rick.
          I did some looking around at the tech schools within reasonable distance from me. Only 2 have plumbing programs and both were 6 months!

How long are the programs you know of?

Comment

the one that is out here, la trade tech is a 2 year program.

the union is a 5 year apprenticeship.

when i went back in 81 it was a 4 year program 2 times a week at night for 3 hours. and that's just the plumbing side. heating and cooling was another program/ 4 years.

as i understand it now, it's every other week, full 8 hours for 5 years. of course the 5 years is also a full 5 years in the field with a journeyman and on the job training.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Yea. I know the union school here is pretty long. The union is not an option for me tho. The 6 month 1000 hour programs were really my only option.

Comment

When I started here in Nunya, there was not 1 course offered. No apprenticeship or union program at all.

If you did not learn it from another plumber and completely on your own, you didn't learn it.

J.C.

Comment

I was field supervisor for a company that hired top of the class students from the trade school here, yes they had the fundamentals down, but give them a 40 year old toilet and they couldn't rebuild it, same with other spects of repair plumbing.

There is no better way then to learn in the field when it comes to repair plumbing. Yes, school for codes and general knowledge, there is code class here, takes 2 semesters.

I wouldn't waste 4 years in trade school for repair plumbing.
                  sigpic

Robert

Comment

My plumbing mentor was trained basically three times over! He took a 6 month program like you're going to do, started up as an apprentice with a local plumbing outfit and was trained there on the job for almost four years. He then joined the union and was told that since he had enough hours to take the journeyman test he would be able to do that and get his license. That turned out to be a lie lol and he had to go through their five year program.

I can't offer any advice but I thought that story kind of fit the thread :-)

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      the one that is out here, la trade tech is a 2 year program.

the union is a 5 year apprenticeship.

when i went back in 81 it was a 4 year program 2 times a week at night for 3 hours. and that's just the plumbing side. heating and cooling was another program/ 4 years.

as i understand it now, it's every other week, full 8 hours for 5 years. of course the 5 years is also a full 5 years in the field with a journeyman and on the job training.

rick.

Rick

It fascinates me Rick when you talk of a union apprenticeship what does that mean, when I did my apprenticeship here in Melbourne Australia, I had to find a plumber to hire me first, I then we went to the apprenticeship board a government agency and the three of us signed the indenture papers which in my case was a five year apprenticeship (five years of slavery) one day a fortnight at trade school and two nights a week for four years. The uions here were and still have the worker and the boss mentality and never the trains will meet.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fendereh View Post
                        I start next week. Ive been working as a helper for the past few years. Start plumbing/heating class full time for the next 6 months, next week.

Im pumped. Anyone have any advice??

Brian
                        Brain

Forget about plumbing get into banking that`s where the money is with all the bonuses.

Tony

Comment

In Canada the apprenticeship is 4 years with a total of 26 weeks in school, and 5620 hours on the job. Plus exams, fees etc.

But then you are a certified journeyman plumber anywhere in Canada.

Comment

Good evening everyone. Like AFM I did my apprenticeship in Melbourne and can I say Iwas extremely lucky that I had real teachers. Unfortunately our Governement is pushing an agenda at present saying that we are in a skill shortage crisis. Hello, what about the rest of the world????
                            Anyhow good reading how you guys got your qualifications. Also it is interesting to read how Plumbing is protected in America. Seems someone appreciates tradesmen

Comment

The Military is a good way to learn the trades.

A few us around here started our journey in the trades serving our country.

C.E., Corps of Engineers, Seabee ect...

Comment

Working...
                              X