shower problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shower problem

please forgive the elementary question but i am a woodworker, not a plumber. My wife and i purchased a house from an elderly woman and neither bathroom had a shower. she had a hand held sprayer connected to a diverter on the spout and it worked for her. we however want a normal shower so i went to work. the faucet is an older two knob model. there is a female thread on top of the faucet assy behind the wall which i popped the cap out of and put in a piece of pipe to feed up for the shower head. hooked it all up with a new spout and i thought i was ready to go. when the water was turned back on and the faucet turned on, not only did water come out of the spout but also the shower head??? when the diverter is closed the water goes to the head only, but when open it comes out both. replaced the other little pipes in that area because they were corroded badly. didn't help. what am i missing?

ed
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Ed Did you check the piping from the valve down to the tub spout? valve, pipe, 90, pipe into tub spout? some times its 3/4" pipe down, 1/2" up to the shower head with some types of valves. You have a presure balance problem. something is causing enough restriction (2-3#s)from valve to spout to force the flow up. 'Course, the for sure fix is to put in a new high quality shower valve, delta, or moen are my top picks. sounds like the wall is open now, and you WILL thank your self later!
    grumpy

Comment

nope, its all 1/2 inch. there is a local plumbing supply close by. i am going to stop buy this morning and see what suggestions they have. hopefully they just sell the faucet itself. but worse case i guess its another trip back to home depot for yet another item

thanks

Comment

What you have is a faucet that was made to be either a tub filler or a shower valve only, not both. The plug you removed lets water flow to the shower head no matter what. When you close the tub diverter you block off the water going to the spout but you have no way of turning off the water running to the shower head. What you need to do is replace the whole valve with a new tub/shower combination valve. You've already run the piping for the shower head so half the job is already done.
        ================================================== ====
        ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

well its fixed. a new valve and some new supply line later (old house), and we have a shower. only thing missing from my valve was a little plastic insert in the center. one plumbing supply told me i could get just that but did not stock and had the faucet kit for over 100.00. he also recommended a twin ell fitting which would have involved drilling new holes in tile and such. went to another local supplier who said that the plastic inserts were not replaceable and also recommended a twin ell. but he "parted out" a kit and sold me the valve and stems for 60.00

and for the record i went to home depot first, their plumbing guy had no idea what was wrong either, and they dont sell just the valve.

being an older house i see the need for some rework in the future, nothing requiring immeadiate attention, but things needed to be done none the less. as problems arise i hope you guys dont mind me picking your brain

thanks and happy new year

Comment

Working...
          X