Vertex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vertex

Any opinions on the A.O. Smith Vertex? Good, bad, uses, installs?

http://www.hotwater.com/products/res...vertex100.html

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Vertex

looks like a nice product to me.

comparable to a lochinvar shield?

Comment

They heat the water very quick. In a hospital I worked in they had three off them in series with digital read outs. You should see how fast they get up to temp.

The only issue with residential is dealing with condensate. They are nice for a powervent, but I cannot speak to longevity or reliability. Kinda pricey but a heck of alot cheaper than a tankless.

Are you going to install one?
      Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Someone wants me to give them water heater "options" for their new house.

Plans look to be about 5,000 to 6,000 sq. ft. So I'm thinking of water heater options.

Funny thing is that the person has told me that they are close to being LEED certified.

Almost feels like a test to see if I know what I'm talking about, which of course I never do.

J.C.

Comment

I installed one in a local Deli. had Hot water in under 5 minutes. It really is an amazing unit. But I can't speak for longevity either, it's only 3 or 4 months old now.
          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
            They heat the water very quick. In a hospital I worked in they had three off them in series with digital read outs. You should see how fast they get up to temp.

The only issue with residential is dealing with condensate. They are nice for a powervent, but I cannot speak to longevity or reliability. Kinda pricey but a heck of alot cheaper than a tankless.

Are you going to install one?
            I haven't found them to be cheaper. Maybe different in other places.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

It's a fantastic product. In Illinois, it was a qualifier for a tax credit too, though that program may be over now.

We installed a commercial unit in a 40 unit apartment building about 6 months ago. The Vertex is saving them over $200 on the gas bill. The owner will make up the difference in cost from putting a conventional heater in in about 2 years. A.O. Smith has a savings calculator on their website too.

They've had one problem with the blower, but A.O. Smith had a warranty repair tech on site same day at $0 cost to the owner.

I recommend talking to your local A.O. Smith rep to get some product info before talking to your customer about the product.

Basically, the Vertex is a solid alternative to tankless. Similar install to a powervent.

Comment

I've had to work on a few! Very nice having everything up high to work on. Not laying down was good. They condensate like crazy. don't plug up the drain on the lower vent 90. That was 2 of the sevice calls. I've seen quite a few in restaurants and they seem to work good. 1 problem for me is no parts are stocked for them in west Michigan.

Comment

Working...
                X