X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice

I dont have much info on this house yet but I want some ammo when I go look at it tommorow. A water damage company I do alot of work for reffered me to this lady. I spoke with her today and I will be going to look at it in the morning. the house is about 5-7 years old she was not sure what type of pipe she has. about two years ago she had an agle stop blow off when they were out of town second story completely wiped out the house. they had a plumber replace all the angle stops in the house. and now when they leave they turn the water main off. they went out of town this weekend and when they got home they saw water dripping from the ceiling. plastic piece on toilet supply broke and toilet tank leaked out.
    She was in tears telling me this over the phone. she is on city water. so i am going to test her water for acid levels. test her pressure. she also wants a valve that if the water flow goes to fast it shuts the main off( ive seen them in magazines does anyone know about them?) and she said she didnt care if they were gold she wants the strongest supplies there is so in your opinions what is the best supply? i have never had problems with braided supplies.
    what else should i look for?
    thanks
    mike
    Mike
    Clark County Plumbing And Drain
    www.plumbinginclarkcounty.com

Re: need advice

Suggest that she never go out of town.

If the water pressure looks normal, keep in mind that there could be a pressure surge in the middle of the night.

Can't tell much if we don't know what kind of pipe she has. If it's copper, maybe threaded adapters would be safer than compression stops.

Comment

Originally posted by haycad View Post
      she also wants a valve that if the water flow goes to fast it shuts the main off( ive seen them in magazines does anyone know about them?) and she said she didnt care if they were gold she wants the strongest supplies there is so in your opinions what is the best supply?

mike
      I thought that Plumber Rick told us about this a little while ago.
      Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      i've been installing floodstops/ burstburster 2000 for a couple years now.

the ones i use are the washing machine valves and the water heater valve. they also come in icemaker, dishwasher, faucet shut offs. along with a whole house shut off and remote monitors.

basically it's a motorized ball valve that's controlled by a controller with a water sensor pad.

when water hits the sensor, the controller sends current to the motorized ball valve/valves to close the valve and sets off an alarm beeper.

the theory is to prevent any further water from entering the washer/ heater.

a pretty simple inexpensive device that also allows for shutting off the washing machine remotely. you can push the red/ close button and the valve will shut. great for a hard to reach stacking washer/ dryer.
      green will open the valve

thought you guys might want to know about this.

here's a link that you can get more info from. never mind the pricing. they have contractor pricing for us

http://www.getfloodstop.com/

rick.

Others
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yRQdFjQqrU

For water heaters, from Watts.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpbFyVa4Iwk

Comment

I like to use them .I tell the costumer what could happen and then they want it . I think runs about 100 -125.

Comment

braided supply from h/d is garbage .I changed 3 last week .

Comment

Originally posted by metx View Post
            braided supply from h/d is garbage .I changed 3 last week .
            Watts Floodsafe braided hoses are a lot more than garbage...

In fact the ones I saw had the protection on the wrong side of the leak...
            Making work for the water restoration company...

411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

If she wants the absolute best, here is how I would do it. If water quality allows it, I would install all Brasscraft KT series quarter turn angle stops and chrome plated supply lines. I'd use the Fluidmaster with the brass shank for the toilet fill valve. I'd also install the auto shutoff valves on the water heater, washing machine, and possibly the ice maker supply line. Before I did all that though, I would check the water pressure on the home.

Comment

I don't install flex supplies. I'm a little leery of telling the Forum Vultures this.

But I've installed hundreds+ of PEX supplies and not had 1 callback. Not 1. Not even a weeper like on traditional metal supplies.

J.C.

Comment

wolverine brass 1/4 turn valves with w.b. flex supplies. top quality, lifetime warranty. put in w.b. all brass fill valves. no problems.

Comment

I love pex supplies. I've had no callbacks with them. I hate braided supplies, but the braided toilet supplies are all anyone in this area uses.

Some of you complain that pex looks like spaghetti, take a good look at those braided supplies.

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    I don't install flex supplies. I'm a little leery of telling the Forum Vultures this.

But I've installed hundreds+ of PEX supplies and not had 1 callback. Not 1. Not even a weeper like on traditional metal supplies.

J.C.
                    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

They are less likely to give any problems in my experience.

The rubber seals & even the teflony seals can leak on flex & traditional. And the flexes, even the best ones, will leak at the swivel in 2 or 3 years in my experience.

Maybe I should be installing braided flexes. I need job security too.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                      X