Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Let's Get Crazy...

Way to keep those options open

Hey, where have you been lately? Have not seen anything from you in a while. Hopefully it's because you are busy making money and not down with the flu or something.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
      My Propress tool has paid for itself more times than I could ever count already and I'm sure that anyone else using it would say the same thing. The train has left the station and it's a one way trip, never going back.
      Have a competitors press tool. Don't use it much at all.

J.C.

Comment

You want crazy?

What kind of responses would have been made if perhaps a not so "Established" member would have brought his/this idea as his own to the discussion table.

He would have been skinned alive

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Have a competitors press tool. Don't use it much at all.

J.C.
          Rick was kind enough to lend both his corded and battery propress tools and some 2-1/2" fittings for the Hotel repair.

Now I cannot see myself without one.When it can be afforded(out of red) I'll get one.
          In time..

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
            Rick was kind enough to lend both his corded and battery propress tools and some 2-1/2" fittings for the Hotel repair.

Now I cannot see myself without one.When it can be afforded(out of red) I'll get one.
            In time..
            Right person, right job, right community.....ProPress would be logical.

For others that don't have this criteria...won't really ever pay.

http://www.toolup.com/ridgid/27923.h...LAID=318042869

http://www.toolup.com/ridgid/20483.html

Need a good amount of larger commercial repair work to overcome 5 g's. IMO.

J.C.

Comment

In time..
              no problem adam. i still had 5 machines left in case something came up

actually, i needed my charger and batteries the next day

i had to go dig them up

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I got mine for 1200 dollars, it was a demo. I use it a few times a week at least. Used for everything from repairs to water heater installations. I do a lot of water service valve repacements (in basements) always use the propress.
                Seriously I can't imagine going back to soldering these fittings and valves ever again. The Propress rocks my world!

Comment

I understand and agree with some of Rick's & Adam's uses. Larger fittings and long draindowns. I also understand spec'ing it on a large project.

I don't get using it in other areas as much. And the customer pays more for inferior joints with less labor.

A few copper fittings I just searched around for:

3/4" Copper 90. $0.99
                  3/4" Copper Coupling $0.69
                  3/4" Sweat Ball Valve $3.99

Total: $5.67

And a few ProPress fittings I just searched for:

3/4" ProPress 90 $2.59
                  3/4" Propress Coupling $2.84
                  3/4" Propress Ball Valve $20.44

Total: $25.87

And they REALLY hammer you on a slip coupling for a reason I can't figure out.

3/4" ProPress Slip Coupling $6.18.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    I understand and agree with some of Rick's & Adam's uses. Larger fittings and long draindowns. I also understand spec'ing it on a large project.

I don't get using it in other areas as much. And the customer pays more for inferior joints with less labor.

A few copper fittings I just searched around for:

3/4" Copper 90. $0.99
                    3/4" Copper Coupling $0.69
                    3/4" Sweat Ball Valve $3.99

Total: $5.67

And a few ProPress fittings I just searched for:

3/4" ProPress 90 $2.59
                    3/4" Propress Coupling $2.84
                    3/4" Propress Ball Valve $20.44

Total: $25.87

And they REALLY hammer you on a slip coupling for a reason I can't figure out.

3/4" ProPress Slip Coupling $6.18.

J.C.
                    you forgot the solder, torch, flux, sandcloth. plus the downtime waiting for the water to shut off and drain.

there is no comparison to the quality of a propress 90 and a cxc 90. a propress 90 is 2 to 3 times thicker and a real long turn radius. the cxc 90 is thin and no radius.

i do a lot of circ line repairs and i have yet to go back to 1 propress leak in the 5+ years i've been doing it. yet i go back to solder 90's that wear thin and leak.

can't argue the slip repair price. believe me, i let the viega rep have it at the roundup. something he took all the way back to germany with him. a sore a$$ there is no logical reason for that discrepancy. believe me.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

I cannot dispute the sweep and wrought fitting.

I do question the seal psi table vs. solders psi table.

For those that do a majority of residential and don't have much market for the commercial-I just can't see it yet. Remember, I already own a press tool I got on a good deal.

But for most others I know:

2K to 3K for equipment and that's limiting your commercial abilities.

Got to get up towards 4K+ in equipment to look for or say there's a commercial "pay out".

Use it in the majority on things like water heaters? $25.00+ extra in fittings plus some charge a tool fee of $30.00+-.(Which is fine, to each their own).

Increased the cost to the customer about $50.00 and decreased one's labor.

Wait a minute......what I'm I thinking???

J.C.

Comment

I believe in new technology but until I forget how to sweat a joint, I'm good for the next 30 years, soldering.

Propress would work awesome for large unit buildings where you don't have to rely on a dry fitting to solder.

Every faucet replacement I've done inside a 4" opening inside a wall? No way a propress can get inside such a tight spot to make those connections.

You'll find that will be the case in order to make water tight connections in residential service. Situtations like water lines running right against a joist you cannot elbow out to get to.

I've soldered joints that I barely got my solder and torch to, through spaces that the hands wouldn't reach.

But, everything has its place and no time soon will the torch disappear.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I recently worked with a service plumber on an "As easy as it gets" kitchen remodel.He owns a propress.
                          Probably 40-50 fittings.
                          This job was bid.
                          None of this hourly plus charging extra for material.

It was quite obvious to this plumber that it was cheaper for him to have the fittings soldered for more of a profit.
                          But when the money is good and the pipe is for showing off to the neighbors(I.E.Tankless Heaters) the propress comes out of the case.

on another level
                          Propress can't be beat on draindown commercial.

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post
                            The train has left the station and it's a one way trip, never going back.
                            I hope you weren't on the polybutylene train when it
                            finally derailed and crashed and burned. I can remember
                            when it was touted as the "future" of piping.
                            If plumbing was easy anybody could do it...
                            Oh, wait a minute..it is and they are.
                            Last edited by Big Jim; 11-04-2009, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
                              I hope you weren't on the polybutylene train when it
                              finally derailed and crashed and burned. I can remember
                              when it was touted as the "future" of piping.
                              If plumbing was easy anybody could do it...
                              Oh, wait a minute..it is and they are.

Nope, never installed a single piece of polybutylene but I don't see the similarities between the two?

Comment

on another level
                                Propress can't be beat on draindown commercial.
                                Agreed 100%

The Pro-Press and the SuperFreeze is like hot soup and crackers on a cold winter day

Comment

Working...
                                X