• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Get Crazy...

Maybe....Maybe not. Hmmm......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDSpMNbUvz4

J.C.

Re: Let's Get Crazy...

And what happens when that internal line goes bust, and you have no clue where to locate the leak?

Am I the only one picking this up, just to start?

With that narrow restriction orifice...

What keeps that from not clogging up on a recirc line?

What happens when you have to cut that line...both lines get compromised?
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post

And what happens when that internal line goes bust, and you have no clue where to locate the leak?

Calm down Dunbar. Bidet water too hot?

I was thinking the exact same thing when I first saw it. I try to install with the thought of repairing later.

But it is interesting to watch and make you think. At least for me.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
        Calm down Dunbar. Bidet water too hot?

I was thinking the exact same thing when I first saw it. I try to install with the thought of repairing later.

But it is interesting to watch and make you think. At least for me.

J.C.

Worse; I missed a spot. It's the burning, the itching, the itching that is burning and now it's bright red . See?

Running that PEX right beside that pipe, cable tieing it would be far better than providing a a flow restrictive design like such.

That "doesn't require flame/soldering" sales tactic is useless in my book.

I like work that requires skill, and not everyone can do it. That's what makes me a plumber.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

What pisses me off is in the video the narrator specifically says that it "does not obstruct the flow" at about 2 minutes 30 seconds in.

That's just a plain out lie. It's ok with me to come up with some new way of doing something. There will be pluses and minuses to anything. But don't lie about it.

J.C.
          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 10-31-2009, 12:36 AM. Reason: Verbatim

Comment

Well,

It's kind of a cool idea, but...

I don't really see what it saves in matl; you are just substituting pex return for copper return, which could, (as dunbar says) just as easily be done right beside it. And if someone is paying the premium for copper, they should get copper, not pex in disguise.

I don't think flow restriction in the riser itself is really an issue; you can just make the riser a size larger (matl savings goes out the window). But I can see those little ports in the top and bottom pieces coking up with calcium... I'd sure want them accessible for replacement in case that happens.

It might be a space saver in the right installation... but really I don't see that argument for new construction. Might be good for a retrofit to add recirc where there was none without having to blow up too many walls if you are lucky eoungh to have an existing straight shot in big enough pipe.

Mostly I'm happy to have seen the vid so I won't scratch my head wondering what the heck I'm looking at if I ever run across one.
            This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Re: Let's Get Crazy... BIG UPC CODE VIOLATION

#107367 eieio
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Re: Let's Get Crazy... STUPID

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post

The call back from HELL,I'D PACK UP AND MOVE!
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

very interesting design as long as it's incorporated in the construction of a new installation.

now if there's a way to fish the 3/8'' return line through existing pipe with 90's

remember this is geared towards a propress system/ viega installation.

as long as you don't have to cut into the main riser, all is good. otherwise you need a saddle type tee.

i would imagine you also need to size the main 1 size bigger to account for the 3/8'' restriction.

i think it's an interesting concept and they use it in europe for 15 years before we start it here.

time for a field trip to germany and viega

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

I think it is a great idea but it is for the riser not a full circulation system. As long as you have nice straight risers you are fine. If the internal pipe ever leaks you would lose some of the recirculating but it would not harm the system. At that point you replace the fittings at the top and bottom of the riser and install new PEX.

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I'm not a plumber, so I don't have the experience and knowlege that you guy's have. But how do you crimp a fitting onto pex at the top of the run, ProPress it into the main line, then do the same thing at the base of the main line? Where does the one or two inches of pex that you work with at the base go? The pex that we have up here doesn't vertically compress like that, or am I missing something?

Mick

Comment

It appears there is a degree of slip allowed at the bottom transition-fitting-system to keep from having to compress or "curve" the return line to get it together.

(They DO show in the video raising and compressing the PEX. But if the bottom transition slips then you should be able to allow for proper fit without compression in the field)

J.C.

Comment

We had some heavy hitters from Viega at the Ridgid Roundup but they didn't roll this out?

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                            Well,

It's kind of a cool idea, but...

I don't really see what it saves in matl; you are just substituting pex return for copper return, which could, (as dunbar says) just as easily be done right beside it. And if someone is paying the premium for copper, they should get copper, not pex in disguise.

I don't think flow restriction in the riser itself is really an issue; you can just make the riser a size larger (matl savings goes out the window). But I can see those little ports in the top and bottom pieces coking up with calcium... I'd sure want them accessible for replacement in case that happens.

It might be a space saver in the right installation... but really I don't see that argument for new construction. Might be good for a retrofit to add recirc where there was none without having to blow up too many walls if you are lucky eoungh to have an existing straight shot in big enough pipe.

Mostly I'm happy to have seen the vid so I won't scratch my head wondering what the heck I'm looking at if I ever run across one.
                            Could it be Thermo loss would be that much less? What does insulating pipes cost on a big commercial job cost? Could not having the return lines insulated be a big savings? I really don't know I dought it though.

Comment

The riser is a much larger size so there is zero restriction. Viega is light years ahead of the game, pure genius. IF you ever did need to cut the riser it's not a problem and will not harm the pex (unless you try wacking it with a sawzall LOL) I use both the Viega Propress and the Pureflow pex systems exclusively now, won't ever go back.

Comment

Working...
                              X