Good water, bad water ????????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good water, bad water ????????

Please share How Your water Quality affects Your Service Buss., as a Plumber. It would be nice to know about Water heater life expectancy, Preferred brands, Where You live,filters
    used for specific minerals , Well water, or not.Filter boiler make up water? Tank's Tool PS, think this will be an eye opener !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Good water, bad water ????????

DC has horrible water quality (among other things) The water and sewer authority began a billion dollar project to replace lead piping a few years back. Test levels before the program were approaching EPA limits for exposure. They abruptly stopped the program half way through. It turns out, the more work they did, the more lead was released into the drinking water. So now, they treat the water with a chemical that is supposed to contain the lead in the pipe.

Population near 600,000...random lead tests done...100 WTF??!!!

Turbidity is pretty high here. We get our water from the Potomac so thats not too surprising. That can lead to bacteria forming and other little nasties in the water. Even the crap they use to treat the water can lead to cancer and liver disease.

Recent water tests have shown high levels of pharmaceuticals. People dumping old medication down the drain and others passing through our excrements. As our population gets older and we begin to take more and more meds. This will begin to be a huge problem in the near future especially near major cities.

As for the plumbing service end, our water pressure is pretty low here. Rarely gets over 50 psi. Haven't installed a pressure reducing valve in 8 years.

Our sewers are mostly storm and sanitary combined so they don't stink at all. Whenever we get a heavy rain, count on at least 4 or 5 main sewer stoppages.

Comment

Hardness, Iron, PH and arsenic are all pretty prevalent around here. Contrary to what a certain water expert on many many other forums says, most plumbers around here deal with these problems
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        DC has horrible water quality (among other things) The water and sewer authority began a billion dollar project to replace lead piping a few years back. Test levels before the program were approaching EPA limits for exposure. They abruptly stopped the program half way through. It turns out, the more work they did, the more lead was released into the drinking water. So now, they treat the water with a chemical that is supposed to contain the lead in the pipe.

Population near 600,000...random lead tests done...100 WTF??!!!

Turbidity is pretty high here. We get our water from the Potomac so thats not too surprising. That can lead to bacteria forming and other little nasties in the water. Even the crap they use to treat the water can lead to cancer and liver disease.

Recent water tests have shown high levels of pharmaceuticals. People dumping old medication down the drain and others passing through our excrements. As our population gets older and we begin to take more and more meds. This will begin to be a huge problem in the near future especially near major cities.

As for the plumbing service end, our water pressure is pretty low here. Rarely gets over 50 psi. Haven't installed a pressure reducing valve in 8 years.

Our sewers are mostly storm and sanitary combined so they don't stink at all. Whenever we get a heavy rain, count on at least 4 or 5 main sewer stoppages.
        Thank's, this is scary,We need to redirect out tax $$$TO DC WATER TREATMENT NOT IRAQ INFASTRUCTURE!
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          Hardness, Iron, PH and arsenic are all pretty prevalent around here. Contrary to what a certain water expert on many many other forums says, most plumbers around here deal with these problems
          I remember camping in N.H., getting great water from the many roadside spring spigots.
          This was 50 years ago! Man ,I'm old

Comment

you and me both
            sigpic

Comment

Our city water is good here. Minimal chlorine, PH always at 7 as I test it often for my fish tank. On average water heaters last about 8-12 years. Well water around western Mass. varies from excellent to poor.

Comment

Here in Minneapolis the water is around 4 grains.With minor maintenance
                w.h. tanks last a very long time.Our water comes out of the Mississippi river.
                Northwestern burbs get their water from an aquafier and the hardness
                starts at around 26 grains and is VERY aggressive.
                Tanks often fail under warranty!
                The other upshot to the bad water there is that the aggressive water is
                bad on the copper so pinhole leaks are common before the softeners.

Comment

Working...
                X