X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abs Solid-Wall Pipe pressure Rating?

I have used 2" solid-wall abs pipe for over 40 years now and I am trying to find a registered test rating for water pressure.Does anyone know where I can find this?
    You would think that abs pipe would be very similar to pvc pipe pressures.

Re: Abs Solid-Wall Pipe pressure Rating?

Is ABS approved to carry pressurized anything?

J.C.

Comment

Only because of us plumbers,we associate the product with dwv use.I know of many solar companies successfully using abs pipe over my 32 years in the solar industries.
      I would like to use 2" solid wall abs pipe for www.INDEKSOLAR.com pool heating manifolds.These would be buried 14" underground and the normal water pressure would be 15-40 psi. and operating temperatures no higher than 130 degree spikes and averaging around 90 degrees.We build these systems for tennis court renovations.we groove the existing asphalt surfaces and grout our INDEKSOLAR tubing in place,then resurface the tennis court.It makes an invisible solar pool heating system that is freeze,wind,fire,earth-quake,uv proof.It will outlast those plastic above-ground solar panels by ten times and you do not need to upsize the filter pump because the INDEKSOLAR tubing is level with the pool water level and does not require lifting to a roof elevation.
      We manufacture INDEKSOLAR pool heating systems and would like to switch from 2" shc. 40 pvc pipe to abs because we are going to injection-mold abs manifold barb fittings for our INDEKSOLAR tubing.We have used Loctite adhesives for bonding pvc to abs but would prefer abs to abs because of temperature spikes.
      Pvc barb fittings are very expensive to develop and manufacture because of the environmental issues with the resin and the metal dies have to be made out of non-corrosive materials.I have been quoted die costs in the $60,000.00 range for pvc molding and $1,000.00 for abs.Then the injection shop wants you to buy a gazzillion pieces a year.
      Last edited by sunworksco; 11-02-2009, 06:42 PM.

Comment

I tried to call Charlotte Pipe & Foundry for you but they were closed.

You might be able to get some information here. http://www.charlottepipe.com/Default...l&type=PVCCPVC

I will say this respectfully, it does not matter what you have been doing successfully over the years. In todays times it is "what the product is approved to do".

If it is not approved for the application, then YOU are 100% liable for everything related to its performance.

J.C.

Comment

Better link.

http://www.charlottepipe.com/Default...ge=AllProducts

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by sunworksco View Post
            I have used 2" solid-wall abs pipe for over 40 years now and I am trying to find a registered test rating for water pressure.Does anyone know where I can find this?
            You would think that abs pipe would be very similar to pvc pipe pressures.
            Do you mean "solid core" as compared to "foam core"?

You might try this link:
            http://www.charlottepipe.com/Default...type=ABSPVCDWV
            It's for both ABS and PVC where JC's was just for PVC.
            Here's another link:
            http://www.ppfahome.org/abs/index.html

Comment

The solid wall abs pipe manifold with adhesive bonded injection molded abs hose barb fittings will be tested and certified by IAPMO.The abs pipe will be ink-jet printed with the certification serial numbers with our company name.We are not worried about the product liability,since abs has proven itself in durability.
              None of the abs manufacturers have found a pressure rating yet but they do think it is very close to pvc pressure ratings.
              Last edited by sunworksco; 11-03-2009, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sunworksco View Post
                The solid wall abs pipe manifold with adhesive bonded injection molded abs hose barb fittings will be tested and certified by IAPMO.The abs pipe will be ink-jet printed with the certification serial numbers with our company name.We are not worried about the product liability,since abs has proven itself in durability.
                None of the abs manufacturers have found a pressure rating yet but they do think it is very close to pvc pressure ratings.
                Wouldn't they promote their product for pressure if it could handle pressure? Just asking.

That's probably why it's so difficult for you to find the rating.

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm confused. You're "not worried about product liability since abs has proven itself in durability". Then why do you want to know the pressure rating?

What I mean is that you seem to have the experience & confidence to know that it will handle your application.

Then you want to know the rating of the material for the application.

But at the same time you're not worried about if it will handle you're application because it's "proven itself in durability".

So confused. I think I should stay out of this thread.

Good luck.

J.C.

Comment

IAPMO will test and certify the abs pipe for solar pool heating use but we are just curious to see what kind of pressure testing has been done by others.
                  There is an abs pipe manufacturer that produces sch.80 abs pipe for high-pressure airlines :

http://www.ipexamerica.com/Content/E...1_Duraplus.asp

Comment

I finally found a supplier and a chart for 2" schedule 40 & 80 abs pipe.
                    Here is the chart :
                    Attached Files

Comment

This one held ~80psi for about 2 days until it burst on the glue joint It was not tested by me, but I was there to replace it.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dem View Post
                        This one held ~80psi for about 2 days until it burst on the glue joint It was not tested by me, but I was there to replace it.
                        That's some "Old World Freakin' Craftsmanship" there.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          That's some "Old World Freakin' Craftsmanship" there.

J.C.
                          I don't get it

Comment

Working...
                          X