X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love my job!!

i received more material for the condo water service replacement today.

i went through it. check, check, check, opps mistake, check................

electric jackhammer bits came in. now i can chip the frozen sand and rocks from under the 10" HDPE water main and begin to install the saddles.

load up the truck.

get to the trench and this is what i'm greeted with.

i scrambled to get a sump pump.

started pumping and removing the slush before it freezes.

pump, shovel. pump more, shovel more. pump lots and lots, shovel lots and lots.

the original installers of this nightmare cut the 1" HDPE water service and return just a little too short.

it didn't leak much during the summer, but man did it start leaking when it cooled down. shrinkage.

no problem right. nope.

no more parts for this particular size. i guess 1" was different in '74 than it is today.

ended up using some rubber hose and gear clamps to tie it over until we can get the new service up and running.

the first pic is the curb stop entention rods.

please note that the sewer service and potable water lines are running in the same insulation jacket. big no-no by todays standards.

oh yeah, about -35c (-31F) with the wind this morning.

Vince

the condo members wouldn't be in this predicament if it wasn't for that Bloody Gooberment Guy slowing the job down during the summer
    Attached Files

Re: I love my job!!

82 & partly cloudy

damn Vince, you gotta love it there to stay. i haven't seen that much ice, well ever

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

If it weren't so damned cold, anybody could do it. Next time I hear someone complaining about the weather, I'll tell them they haven't a clue.
      "about -35c (-31F) with the wind this morning" and it's only Nov. 1.
      Do you get hazard pay up there, Vince?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
        If it weren't so damned cold, anybody could do it. Next time I hear someone complaining about the weather, I'll tell them they haven't a clue.
        "about -35c (-31F) with the wind this morning" and it's only Nov. 1.
        Do you get hazard pay up there, Vince?

nope, 'cause i like it.

Vince

seriously

Comment

there's something to be said abut going to work in shorts, company logo tank top, sneakers and sweating through your clothes in December/January

you guys can have the cold, socks, sweaters, etc. give me warmth

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

now I remember what I dreaded about winter when I worked in Edmonton...
            Gotta respect the work ethic that just gets it done no matter what!!

Comment

update.

hammer, shovel. hammer more, shovel more. hammer lots and lots, shovel lots and lots.

thankfully the sand and rocks weren't completely frozen solid. actually, there was still water in the bottom of the trench this morning.

sorry for the $hitty pics but i had to adjust the exposer and contrast so you all could see what i'm up against.

the pipe in the yellow jacket is the 10" HDPE town water main. i have to remove the semi-frozen/frozen sand and rocks from around the main to install the saddles, insulation, and heat shrink jacket.

doesn't look like i did a lot but my numb hand, sore shoulder and elbow will beg to differ.

thank God for that little jackhammer!!

please note that the ground around the water main is frozen cork stiff.

Vince

i do this 'cause i love what i do. besides, i don't have to work-out after work to stay in shape
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X