Wax on tank bolts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wax on tank bolts

I throw those bolts away. My conscience wont let me use 'em.
    I tried putting them in the brass barrell, but the caught on to me at the scrapyard....

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
      I can't ever remember having to resort to other methods to seal a tank to bowl bolt. They always have sealed up with just the rubber gasket .
      I am a young guy, fairly new to service. Plumbing in general compared to some of you.

If there is one thing I have learned, a ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

Comment

I use a little dab of premium grade clear silicone (I've been knocked for this before) as chemeng said. I've seen Mike Holmes doing it and that's where I got the idea. Both the Eljer and the "A.I.O" brand toilets (never heard of em) I have in my house both leaked from the bolts and I used silicone on them. I use silicone at work too, even though the journeyman told me he never used it before, he said he thought it was a pretty good idea especially cause a lot of the toilets we install are junk because that's what the general contractor wanted. I also like the clear silicone cause you don't have to tighten the tank so much. The only problem is when the washers need to be replaced you have to scrape them off with a putty knife or window scraper. Haven't had this problem yet though.

Comment

Be careful following Mike holmes. Although certainley better than bob Vila, a plumber he is not. I've seen a few things from him that have caused me to shake my head.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Haven't been to his forum in a long time.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
            X