Great new tool-

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great new tool-

I tried a Lennox diamond encrusted blade for cutting cast iron today.
    I had a job with the cast in a bad spot. cast crackers would be tough to use and an angle grinder would have been a pain. At the plumbing supply house I saw the new blades and asked about them. A young guy said they work great. I figured what the heck. Then I was told $18.00 per blade. I thought man this better work. first started cutting and I was thinking this aint so great. Then I got through the outside of the pipe. and WOW did it cut nice. the 4th cut went slow cause the blade was worn but I'm extremely happy with my new find. from now on all cast getting cut gets build an extra $18.00. it was easier to handle than a snapper especially over head on a ladder. and way safer and cleaner then an angle grinder. Lennox did a good job with this one.

It aint as great a toilet seat bidet but it sure is good.

Re: Great new tool-

Used one yesterday. Best thing for compromised cast cut.

J.C.

Comment

What's the Lenox part no. for the blade?

Comment

Here's a link that might help. They don't cut super fast, but are safer and can give you a place to connect where the chain would bust spots on the older CI. Also probably only going to get about 5 cuts out of 1 blade. And the last cut will be tough in my opinion.

http://www.lenoxtools.com/enUS/Produ...ip_Blades.html

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Here's a link that might help. They don't cut super fast, but are safer and can give you a place to connect where the chain would bust spots on the older CI. Also probably only going to get about 5 cuts out of 1 blade. And the last cut will be tough in my opinion.

J.C.

You just described an identical statement that Mike mentioned to me today.

I'd say, when you get that 4th or 5th cut, have a brick close by and run that blade into the brick; that should clean the blade if it gets gummed up with what you're cutting. That happens with carbide fused blades and my diamond blade angle grinder wheel.

Brings it instantly back to life.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I've used the Milwaulkie version a couple times same results as the lennox it looks like.

wookie

Comment

i was given 3 of them over a year ago to play with. still a grinder or snap cutter is faster. but these are much faster than the original carbide grit blades.

rick.
              Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 11-12-2009, 09:36 AM.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                I thought so. We've been using these for about a year now. Only problem I've had was when I ordered a batch of them, they were on back order.

Comment

Every service truck should have a diamond blade. And 2 if you are doing any kind of remodeling work.

Sure snappers are fast but they can leave sharp edges that you have to go back over with grinder otherwise risk shredding a no hub coupling.

Grinders cut like butter, but are not practical indoors (like on a bathroom remodel where you have to cut the stack in a finished hallway or basement). The dust will make a huge mess.

Comment

I bought some of these a while back but haven't had a chance to use them yet. Sounds like a good idea.

Comment

Yupp used them in My Tunnel from Hell Job ...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by saysflushable View Post
                        I tried a Lennox diamond encrusted blade for cutting cast iron today.
                        I had a job with the cast in a bad spot. cast crackers would be tough to use and an angle grinder would have been a pain. At the plumbing supply house I saw the new blades and asked about them. A young guy said they work great. I figured what the heck. Then I was told $18.00 per blade. I thought man this better work. first started cutting and I was thinking this aint so great. Then I got through the outside of the pipe. and WOW did it cut nice. the 4th cut went slow cause the blade was worn but I'm extremely happy with my new find. from now on all cast getting cut gets build an extra $18.00. it was easier to handle than a snapper especially over head on a ladder. and way safer and cleaner then an angle grinder. Lennox did a good job with this one.

It aint as great a toilet seat bidet but it sure is good.
                        I've tried these things before and didn't get particularly great results. I'm now thinking that I might have been using the carbide grit blades Rick mentioned. I cut a fair amount of cast so this could be a boone.
                        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Like soomeone had mentioned above, I have used Milwakee"s with good results.I am curious how they compare with the Lennox blades.

Comment

I've been using the angle grinder as far as comfortable then finish with a Milwaulkie blade. Most of my cuts are in a tight crawl space so i'm always looking for the easiest method to giter done.

wookie

Comment

I tried one once that was a "remgrit" or something like that. The cutting edge was the fattest part of the blade

It cut about anything I tested it on... sorta.

The package listed just about anything as things it would cut, but it seemed to work best on metal and concrete.

Until now, I didn't realize anyone else made them... I'll have to see if I can order some.

Comment

Working...
                              X