Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could make one change in the trade.....

what would it be?

i had to think about this for a while and i can only speak from my northern point of view, but i would have to say we need more plumbing inspectors.

it's amazing what people get away with.

Vince

apparently, the romans used to mark their joints with their own stamp

Re: If you could make one change in the trade.....

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post

I used to do spec houses. My helpers would always try to blame each other for leaks, so I started initialing all of my joints with a sharpie, and made them do the same. Worked out beautifully, and forced a little more care in their glue joints.

Also I really wish you couldn't buy large amounts of plumbing supplies at retailers. if the homeowner is buying it you know it's not a licensed installer.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Stop the behind scenes pushing of garbage plumbing products we put in our hands, forced to use or remove because of money or political influence.

These idiots know this **** is junk and they're looking the other way, giggling at our comments about how bad it is.

The blame starts at the top and works down.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

How about no such thing as a Drain Cleaning company. They dont need a real license but still steal business from us real plumbers contrators.
        You can lose with me, but you can't win without me!.... PPI

Comment

what would it be?

i had to think about this for a while and i can only speak from my northern point of view, but i would have to say we need more plumbing inspectors.

Vince

It must be winter when Vince starts posting.... We're going to get our first dusting Friday. It was a great summer.

I wish water heaters, toilets, etc wouldn't be sold in every hardware store and more inspectors that actually care. Ours don't care at all---they don't want to make trouble for the hotshots.
          (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

The false "evolution and improvement" of end products we install. Many do not need the changes that are often negative to their overall performance.

We have strict inspectors in my areas. So I can't say more or better inspectors.

More common sense and most important of all....

ONE CODE!

J.C.

Comment

what would it be?

Vince
              not necessarily more inspectors, but inspectors that actually do their job and enforce the code. an inspector who actually finishes the day and needs to change their clothes. an inspector who isn't afraid to make the call and start enforcing the code for what it is.

funny i had this conversation last week with a chief inspector and he agreed with me

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

I have witnessed the plumbing inspector put on the coveralls here.

Tough inspections. Hanger off a couple of inches might fail you. True.

J.C.

Comment

I have a bunch but the first one that comes to mind would be to not allow so called water pump and filter guys to touch any piping at all without a plumbing license and a permit.
                  sigpic

Comment

How about more training? And, I'd like my state (CA) require licensing of anyone who installs plumbing. We've got a licensing requirement for electricians in this state, but for plumbers there's nada.
                    Last edited by Plumbus; 11-13-2009, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Good topic

My pet peeve with the trade has to do with the Code. It is written by so-called proffessionals but influeced by manufactures(and thier money), who are only interested in thier product's inclusion. Then they copyright the book and the government adopts it as law. From my perspective as soon as any text is law and people are expected to follow it, copyright should be absolved. Imagine a police officer pulling you over and offering to sell you the laws of the road before he gives you a ticket.
                      It's not the money for the code book that bugs me, just the fact that the laws governing the constuction industry are hidden from the public.
                      Anyway that's my two cents.
                      Plumbing shop supr.
                      My plumbing hobby site - PlumbingHelp.ca

Comment

Working...
                      X