Nitrogen use idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrogen use idea

I had a tuff water heater today that would not drain, the heater drain was clogged with mineral build-up.

Enter 2000psi Nitrogen tank and 500 psi adjustable regulator I know this sounds bad but it worked great.

I made a line to connect Nitrogen cylinder to WH drain valve set the regulator to 100 psi and let er rip about 3 seconds later "pop" the TMP lifted and the heater was ready to drain.

I then disconnected the HW outlet on the WH (CW inlet was valved off) and connected the same rig to the top and force drained 50 gallons in 5 minutes

Worked out great and was a real time saver...

Bill

Re: Nitrogen use idea

I carry a portable air compressor. Use it similarly.

J.C.

Comment

I keep nitrogen on the truck for Brazing anyway so I said what the heck...

Only advantage I see over an air compressor is being able to really jack up the pressure if you feel the need OK, maybe that is not really an advantage...

Comment

that actually sounds like kind of an awesome idea. as long as everything works as intended.

I know it's going to be bad when I completely remove the boiler drain and still have no water coming out.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

You guys in the rest of the states have basements.
          What do you use if there is no drain down there.

Been using CO2 blowout for years.It's readily available at the supply house.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
            I keep nitrogen on the truck for Brazing

Just a question, but what part does the nitrogen play in brazing?

G3

Comment

Originally posted by G3sprinklers View Post
              Just a question, but what part does the nitrogen play in brazing?

G3
              Displaces oxygen inside pipe to prevent carbonization.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

Much swearing and complaining.

actually a 5 gallon bucket and a sump pump tied to a garden hose. Usually doesn't get All the water, but it does get most of it.
                No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                  Much swearing and complaining.

actually a 5 gallon bucket and a sump pump tied to a garden hose. Usually doesn't get All the water, but it does get most of it.
                  Harbor Freight has an awesome transfer pump on sale every now and then.Rick showed it to me.
                  Thing put's out more GPM's than most homes,fricken fire hose.Drain those tanks in a minute or two.
                  Just need to be sure you use a pickup hose that doesn't collapse.

Comment

You know, I never thought about a transfer pump. I have one on my truck that just needs a whip. we tried to use it on a fountain that needed a non submersible pump, but the freight train noise it made was a no go for the customer.

what kind of house wouldn't collapse? maybe just one made from wirsbo with hose connections attatched?

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                      You know, I never thought about a transfer pump. I have one on my truck that just needs a whip. we tried to use it on a fountain that needed a non submersible pump, but the freight train noise it made was a no go for the customer.

what kind of house wouldn't collapse? maybe just one made from wirsbo with hose connections attatched?
                      Your going to have to get me a diagram of a house framed with wirsbo before I can speculate.

Comment

Been using CO2 blowout for years.It's readily available at the supply house.

We use small air compressors. We have a nipple/valve/hose adapter made up to screw in in place of the boiler drain when it won't work.

Hook the air compressor into the relief valve and let 'er rip.

We do this alot on big commercial heaters to speed up the process.

Comment

Your going to have to get me a diagram of a house framed with wirsbo before I can speculate.
                          ...You know, the worst part is that I saw that typo, hit backspace to correct it, then apparently retyped it exactly the same.

Comment

Using a small air compressor is one thing, as most can hardly pump up over 100 psi, don't over pressurize the tank with that 500 psi regulator,
                            I remember some one getting grief for using a HW tank as a reserve tank on a air compressor a year or so ago,
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Oops,I forgot.
                              We are responsible for those who should not be using any tool other than a spoon.

Comment

Working...
                              X