Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: L or K copper For water service

Originally posted by RealLivePlumber View Post
    Copper tubing is rated as K, L, and M. These letters relate to the wall thickness. JUST BECAUSE IT IS M TUBING DOES NOT MEAN IT IS FOR HYDRONIC HEAT!!!!!!!!

Your code book will tell you what has been approved by your administrative authority!
    It's appropriate for hydronics . L on domestic water will serve the customer better, long term, than M !
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I work for a large municipal government as the inventory manager for anything the city might buy or use. We carry rolls and rolls of soft copper pipe/tubing for our underground water services everything from 1/2" to 2" copper (our 2" are in 20' lengths). The only copper tubing we purchase and dispensed to our works crews are the type "K" green marking copper tubing here in B.C. Canada.

Comment

Been using sch40 pvc for water service to bldg for over 30 yrs now, never a problem. I used to use k only when I was boring under a road.

Comment

by sch 40 pvc, are you refering to larger size blue brute pipe?
          http://www.ipexinc.com/Content/en_ca..._bluebrute.asp
          I have used lots of it on commercial jobs, but not seen anything like it for 3/4" residential service.

Comment

i can not use plastic water service because i will be within 30' of a septic field. They do not want the septic to contaminate the drinking water! I talked to the inspector and L copper is ok, but K is Prefered!

Comment

Originally posted by choyboy View Post
              I work for a large municipal government as the inventory manager for anything the city might buy or use. We carry rolls and rolls of soft copper pipe/tubing for our underground water services everything from 1/2" to 2" copper (our 2" are in 20' lengths). The only copper tubing we purchase and dispensed to our works crews are the type "K" green marking copper tubing here in B.C. Canada.
              chicago is the same way. smallest service they put in is 1.50

Comment

It's been many years since I used copper on a water service. But I would not use anything but K outside underground. L would work inside as long as it was buried with a foam sleeve. M will work here for water inside above ground.

Comment

For along time only used type L but now use 200# poly. we have had too many pin hole leaks on copper less than 8yrs old. Has something to do with stray current I got shocked a couple of times while repairing a line. So plastic all the way.

Comment

Working...
                  X