X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L or K copper For water service

I have been using soft K copper for under ground water service leads. But it seems of late that soft L copper is about $60.00 cheaper a roll. I was always told that L is for Gas, and K is for water. Do you think L is useable on water service?

Re: L or K copper For water service

What matters is what is allowed by code in your state.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

We use it in the buildings for commercial work, if the inspectors will allow it then it'll be fine. but it won't have the same durability as K

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
      I have been using soft K copper for under ground water service leads. But it seems of late that soft L copper is about $60.00 cheaper a roll. I was always told that L is for Gas, and K is for water. Do you think L is useable on water service?
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

There is a reason its cheaper...its thinner. Did you see my post about the bad water service??

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29072

Comment

good luck finding type k out here. only time i've seen it was for government work. in fact we use to be able to use "m" for underground.

now the only time i ever buy m, is if i'm doing pressure relief valves that typically will never see water.

L is all i keep on the truck.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

On a remodel, if the existing tube is M, we stay with M. Otherwise, it's L.

Comment

Building homes,Cape Cod Mass. 1970. L service everywhere. All domestic water plumbing in the home L . M for Hydronic heat ONLY. Roof flashings ,lead or copper. These homes
              sold for $30,000 on your lot! Good days
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Have always only used type k for underground service. Though the last few years lots are using plastic (puss-pipe) for underground service. Not sure how crazy I am about that, but the times thya are a-changin.

Comment

tat blue cts tubing is tough stuff. had a local utility provider replace a supply from the tap to the meter with that stuff on a saturday morning. they left it draped across the road all weekend. dug in a new one monday morning.
                  No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

I remember homes on wells, using plastic all the time 40 years ago! Are folks using copper off the well head today?
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Around here the plastic is used on wells. Copper on houses, and in some cases the plastic.

Comment

For my area, the copper main is or has pretty much been gone for awhile on anything 1" or below.

Typically 1" black PE pipe rated to 160psi. Very few problems seen honestly. Once in awhile someone calls for a leak where someone put lower pressure "thin wall" black PE in and expansion/contraction/vibration against a stone or brick from construction rubs a hole in it. But even that is often 15 years down the road.

Type L roll copper is more than adequate for this area. Water chemistry will play some roll in longetivity but also you should think about soil ph and it's tendency to degrade the copper prematurely. If that's the case you might have to sleeve it in some vinyl pipe sleeving.

In short, Type L should be very adequate.

J.C.

Comment

we use k copper for water services in OHIO, home of ridgid tool and yes the OSU BUCKEYES!!!

Comment

Check your code, we cannot use L for the water service here in Wisconsin.

Comment

Copper tubing is rated as K, L, and M. These letters relate to the wall thickness. JUST BECAUSE IT IS M TUBING DOES NOT MEAN IT IS FOR HYDRONIC HEAT!!!!!!!!

Your code book will tell you what has been approved by your administrative authority!

Comment

Working...
                              X