Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood burning furnace

Nice little chain reaction here.

Wood burning furnace with a heat exchanger in the basement plenum. Near as we can figure the air conditioner evaporator froze up over the summer "low freon?" which froze and burst the loops in the heat exchanger. All the water drained into a nearby floor drain, so the home owner never noticed.

She went to start the system up for the year, and started the fire before she checked the water level. tried filling it and realized it's taking a lot more water than normal. turns the water off and ignores it for a few days. fast forward 3 days, I get a call to come look it over.

ended up with;
    New bladder
    new heat exchanger
    2 new aquastats
    all new wiring
    new recirc pump
    new blower switch

it was a lovely mess. I learned a lot about wood furnaces from it though.
    No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Re: Wood burning furnace

the exact same thing just happened here to a mason we do a lot of work with. Luckily he realized it was taking to much water and checked the basement before it got to out of hand.

Comment

it was my first experience working on one of them. my company installs them, but i'm not normally involved in that. I rather enjoyed it, especially now that its functional again.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
        Nice little chain reaction here.

ended up with;
        New bladder
        new heat exchanger
        2 new aquastats
        all new wiring
        new recirc pump
        new blower switch

it was a lovely mess. I learned a lot about wood furnaces from it though.

Learning is more fun when your tuition is being paid by others.

Comment

No Joke there.

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post

Learning is more fun when your tuition is being paid by others.

Comment

Working...
          X