Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak test on new water service

sounds kinda boring i will admit.

but this service it about 700', with a return.

up here, we have to have a two line water service. supply & return.

if there is no call for water (open faucet), the supply water is circulated back to the circulating water main. this prevents freezing in perma-frost.

anyways, return line is holding air. this is good right? yes, it is.

supply line, not so good. it won't hold 1 psi.

in other words, there's a big leak,...................or several little leaks.

i need a compressor that puts out more cfm so i can hear the leaks.

any useful ideas would be greatl;y appreciated.

Vince

after thought; gonna solder up 1" copper stubs with a cap and install them on the curb stops so i can rule out people touching the valves in each unit.

Re: Leak test on new water service

vince, is the line completely buried and not easily looked at?

is it dangerous to test with water as it will leak and freeze?

a helium test is what was used last week at a mall that they couldn't locate. the helium can be picked up with a helium sniffer. hydrogen is actually lighter than helium, but it is a whole lot more dangerous.

normally i offer to pack the bags and help

sorry, i'm off to warmer land in new zealand

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

what kind of compressor are you using ? a 700 c f m wound work

Comment

i can't test with water because of the risk of freezing.

i'm not sure how many cfm's the compressor is. all i know is that it's really small. gonna use a bigger compressor today.

Vince

Comment

i'd go along with rick's thinking but use nitrogen with r22 trace. r22 sniffer's are very common and cheap. instead of the valve cover, why not take the valve handle off?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

[QUOTE=gear junkie;263137]i'd go along with rick's thinking but use nitrogen with r22 trace. r22 sniffer's are very common and cheap. instead of the valve cover, why not take the valve handle off?[/QUOTE]

i wish i could use nitro but that isn't an option for me.

i can't remove the handle from the ford corp stop because the handle is an integral part of the valve. we have to use a corp stop inside the building because the local authority says so. this is because they want a valve inside that will not fail. i call them 200 year valves.

i'm going to install a valve half way in the supply so that maybe it will help me to find the leak(s).

the compressor is only rated at 3.7 scfm/min. what does the "s" stand for?

i think it's too small but i have no other options. it is what it is.

i did fabricate the capped stubs for the stops inside each unit. i'll install them tomorrow so i can rule out the CO mess'in with the valves.

Vince

i call people that flick switches and open and close valves without knowing what they're doing idiots.

Comment

scfm - Standard cubic feet per minute,
              as opposed to acfm - actual cubic feet
              per minute.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                i'd go along with rick's thinking but use nitrogen with r22 trace. r22 sniffer's are very common and cheap. instead of the valve cover, why not take the valve handle off?
                If this is a domestic water line you got to be careful what you test with. I think you can only use water, air, or N2. Anything else would require scrubbing the line = expensive especially in a cold climate.

Divide and conquer: Isolate and test one area at a time. That way if you have multiple leaks the leakage volume will be reduced and allow your small compressor to keep up.

start in the middle, install or close a valve near the middle to isolate the leak. break in half again (install valves as needed if not present) and test if after splitting in half the loss is still too much to keep up with.

Adding valves will add to cost but leaks cost money too. Leave the valves in place is possible to reduce cost (don't have to go back and remove).
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

good news!!

found the big leak. the guy i was working with accidently knicked the HDPE water supply with the sawzall. replaced that section that was leaking, holding at about 76psi.

just to throw in something, now that we're actually making some head-way, that bloody government guy (BGG) is still trying to shut the job down because "he's doesn't see anything happening" at the jobsite.

No $h!t. how the hec can you see anything happening when we're under the building? his girth won't allow him to do any crawling.

i think it's time to write a very nasty letter about his "abuse of power". i'll have to do it because everybody in this town is too afraid to ruffle any feathers. i'm already losing work because of this BGG. time to stir the pot.

Vince

i pressurized the lines to 80psi to allow for cooling/contraction of the compressed air. main pressure is approx. 50psi.

Comment

Vince, you could always use nitrogen to test with since the temp swing will not effect it as bad as air. The air from a compressor will have moisture in it and the N2 will be dry.

Just a thought.

Tell the big gutted guy (bgg) to get off of you @ss.

G3

Comment

Working...
                    X