Over aggressive new flux?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over aggressive new flux?

Tried this new flux from the trade show. It's called orange eco and supposedly water soluable. Soldered up fine, no problem but it seemed to be aggressive with it's cleaning power. Maybe too good. Where the flux melted and ran, it turned the copper bright, brighter than if you sand it. So far, no green, but it's only been two day.

My question is twofold.
    -Has anyone tried this flux and what did they think?
    -Got any ideas how to test the corrosiveness before i switch brands?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Over aggressive new flux?

I looked up the MSDS and the stuff looks ok based on the composition.

The company website brags about the joint shine you get with their flux (they even have a couple of pictures posted)

http://www.precisealloys.com/orangecrush.html

The only way I can think to test it is to do a couple of test joints and watch them over time.

Bill

Comment

Talking to a shop foreman.
      He says some guys love it some don't.It's not a slam dunk.

Sounds like it's working perameters are a little confined,water,heat etc.

Ben,
      Why would your fitting turn green with any flux

Comment

I always Clean all my finished piping and Wipe down with a good marine grade corrosion Inhibitor

dave

Comment

steve/ rookie has used this for large pipe fabbing. he should have an answer to your question.

i believe his concern was about the use on potable water.

also the excess flux was difficult to clean off after soldering. all his work gets detailed.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

The stuff we were using was called "ORANGE CRUSH" and may not have been approved for potable applications. I liked it but since we had to polish up all of our copper before it was sent overseas, (cooling generators) some of the guys were complaining that it took a lot more work to get the flux drip areas clean so for now we have abandoned it.

Comment

Ive used oatey water soluble kinda a orange pumpkin color that stuff sux.But ? how many ppl let their joints cool just enough not to crack and then hit it with more flux to boil off the oxidation i do on all my joints and they look better than right out of the supply house and im hitting 95-100% no leaks.I know some plumbers swear against this so just wondering?

Comment

Never use flux on a hot joint. Always wipe the excess solder off with a dry rag. This gets the flux off too. Never understood why people use a wet rag for their joints.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                X