Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess I'm not the guy for you!

This just in by email:

"That's a big number... more than twice what some bids are coming in at. What is your statement of work? I wonder if you are seeing things that others have not considered."

Seeing that he's an owner/builder, at the price I quoted, it would have taken a heaping portion of good luck to make a buck or two on the job.

Re: I guess I'm not the guy for you!

The guy is full of crap! Why would he even WASTE your time if he has other lower, better bids???

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbus View Post
      This just in by email:

"That's a big number... more than twice what some bids are coming in at. What is your statement of work? I wonder if you are seeing things that others have not considered."

Seeing that he's an owner/builder, at the price I quoted, it would have taken a heaping portion of good luck to make a buck or two on the job.

The owner/builder might just actually be concerned that other bidders are just in 'to get the job', then up the price with added extras, when the things that Plumbus has seen (and bid on) pop up on the job. I've lost jobs to people that under bid me, only to find out later that the final job price - for exactly what was 'supposed' to be bid on, was a lot more than bid. Some contractors seem to be able to bump up pricing after they get the job based on 'surprise' situations that show up on site. Some clients fall for it, the more experienced don't. The problem is that a lot of people out there aren't experienced. Educate the client.

A good portion of jobs that I do get are above what others have bid. A lot of clients are realizing that it's cheaper, less time consuming and more efficient over time to do the job properly up front, and that means paying more.

I would talk to the owner/builder and see what his concerns are. -- You might be exactly the person that he needs.

Mick

Comment

This just in by email:

Just for shyt and giggles, lower your bid by 50% and see what he does.

I no longer try to sell jobs. I've got my price, which is reasonable and profit making, and if they don't like it, I walk. Too many times the job has gone South after lowering the price. It's like they smell the blood in the water and attack.
        (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

If the builder is a player and a guy you'd wanna do business with, he would have called or met with you in person to discuss things in detail. The guy sounds like a goof - sending a whiny email.

Walk away - there's too much easy, profitable business out there rather than dealing with builders and contractors that will squeeze every bit of profit out of you.
          I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Here's the deal. I did the plumbing on the remodel on his last house so we have a relationship. I did see some things that others might not have, so that might explain some of the price difference. I usually don't work in his present neighborhood. Why? I'm too expensive. Why am I too expensive? I'm union.

Comment

Well, hell. Talk to him, then, but a past relationship don't mean squat when it comes to money....ask my ex about that.
              (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

I am Union and I beat out plenty of others...I still say BS. Call his bluff and ask for other bids!

Comment

Fido.

J.c.

Comment

Working...
                  X