Is your house jacked up?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is your house jacked up?

The plumbing at my house works but is not the best looking by any means.

Got the history of drainage under there: PVC, ABS, Cast Iron, Galvanized, I think there is an Aqueduct in there somewhere.

Got some PEX and copper. Think the galvy's all gone...

Just wondering if in your personal house, in the trade you work in, is that part of the home well designed and in great condition-or is it "all jacked up"?

I've worked for/around some:

Good electricians that had screw in fuses, some not working, and duplex cable.
    Good mechanics whose cars looked like they were ready for the crusher. (Think Laguna)
    Good Carpenters with one room always destroyed.

Etc.

Just curious.

J.C.

Re: Is your house jacked up?

The guy with the worst shoes is generally the local shoe repair guy.

I did some business with a mason once - his chimney needed to be redone.

I could go on.............but I won't.
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Flat vent for my bathtub.3 fixtures on an 1 1/2 wye,
      Laundry tub standpipe that throttles down to 1 1/2!
      Originally the tub had no vent when I bought the house
      so temped one in on the vent from the laundry.
      So if I redo the bathroom......
      Yup.JACKED.

Comment

trim plate on my 1st floor bath leaks into basement. the water lands in the laundry tray. haven't gotten around to fixxing it.

the guy i used to work for, retrapped his bath tub in a tri level. well it leaked onto his brand new big screen tv and ruined it. he claimed it on his insurance. i wouldn't have told a soul.

Comment

no, it's firmly bolted to the foundation

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Plumbing in my house was all replumbed by me in 1995. Done to code, no problems.

Have a 2nd floor toilet that's tore apart/parts robbed for an emergency service call last friday night...actually had the parts in my hands to purchase today and get it back in working order but got sidetracked.

My master bath toilet still rocks, bolts were never cut. I'm going to have to pull it up and reset again and make it a permanent situation.

My office I work out of has a full bath roughed in, under the concrete floor with terminations right at the top of the floor. BLU-MAX piping runs from one building to another, that ******* **** is garbage and has 70 pounds of water that for sure has went bad, is a contaminate in that line.

Will probably never put a bathroom in the shop. I "could" sleeve PEX (HOLY ****! Did Dunbar say that???) in that line if I really needed water bad enough to the building...

but I did a transition and hard turn 90 up through the foundation that would never see the chance to push it through, nor will I dig 5' down into the floor to get to that edge of the foundation and make that happen.

Other than that, it's all good and no problems with the system. Ran the kitchen sink drain in 2". No messing around.
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

On the only P.C. that I personally own, I bought a new hard drive (just got an email saying it is on sale for $97 instead of $129, grr). I tried to setup RAID mirroring so that if one of the two drives crashes; but kept running into problems. I just gave up and have a a huge disk with no redundancy. If my hard disk crashes, my kids will lose all of their movies.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                On the only P.C. that I personally own, I bought a new hard drive (just got an email saying it is on sale for $97 instead of $129, grr). I tried to setup RAID mirroring so that if one of the two drives crashes; but kept running into problems. I just gave up and have a a huge disk with no redundancy. If my hard disk crashes, my kids will lose all of their movies.
                Don't feel too bad. Remember the Lacie drive I posted about awhile back? Had to reinstall everything on the computer and now can't get the external hard drive to be recognized. Not done trying though....

J.C.
                Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 11-25-2009, 09:44 PM.

Comment

I moved all my stuff off my hard drive to a new one....the important stuff...but I'm assuming outlook express isn't part of that equation, right?

I have emails stretching back to 2002 on outlook express.

But I took everything in my documents folders and moved them across to the new hard drive.

Is there anything else that should be moved?
                  Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                    I moved all my stuff off my hard drive to a new one....the important stuff...but I'm assuming outlook express isn't part of that equation, right?

But I took everything in my documents folders and moved them across to the new hard drive.

If you value the emails I would file and move them. I'm no computer guy, but if your system crashed for some reason, and you had to bring it back from the start, all Outlook would need to be reinstalled and all emails gone.

Easier to do it now.

I use Mozilla Thunderbird. Crashed and lost tons of emails because the internet service does not "hold" them when Thunderbird would "grab" them just as Outlook does.

Now I keep them on different external sources that are always "out there" if and when things go down.

J.C.

Comment

My kitchen sink comes into one side of a straight Tee and my washing machine comes into the other side (head on to each other) then they go out on 1.5" PVC 15' to a hammer tapped CI and roofing tar joint...LOL

When the washer dumps it pushes a slug of gas through the sink trap DOH!

I can see it but can't get to it... The guy I bought the house from did the work while the floor was out.

My wife keeps threatning to call a plumber on me

Comment

My septic system works great but I haven't covered it up since I (my employee) pumped it this summer. I've got a bio filter to stick in the outlet baffle sitting in it's box at the office. The portable toilet I've got sitting at my house has been serviced once in the last year. It makes a nice spider habitat.
                        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

I rent so no comment but I haven't washed my truck in over 2 months. However, I detail the engine compartment every 2 weeks. I do the things that matter.
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post

Your emails would be a biggie. They are going to be stored somewhere on your hard drive, I just don't know where.

This KnowledgeBase article might help:
                            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                              Don't feel too bad. Remember the Lacie drive I posted about awhile back? Had to reinstall everything on the computer and now can't get the external hard drive to be recognized. Not done trying though....

J.C.
                              I feel your pain. I know I should be able to do what I want, and have done it in the past using a different OS version (RedHat vs. Ubuntu). I just gave up after 2 days of messing with it; almost blowing away 340GB of data in the process.

Comment

Working...
                              X