X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric hwt...help

Today I changed 2, 3000 watt elements on a 240 volt hwt. When I checked back a couple hours later the tank was still cold.
    I have 120 volts comong in on each line and a check across tham shows 209 volts. No question that I am getting proper voltage. Both elements ohm out at 19 ohms, both stats (upper and lower) are good. There is no point in the circuit that I can find a problem. Removing power and checking continuity through the complete circuit, I get 19 ohms.
    I am pulling my hair out (or would if I had any) trying to figure out why I have a complete closed circuit supplied 209 volts and still no hot water being produced. And yes I did check to make sure all wire connections are in their proper places as per the wiring diagram.
    Any help would be appreciated. Calling tech support line when they open tomorrow, but at this point I am baffled. I had a 110 volt tank do the same thing a while back and found the problem to be a faulty neutral wire between the tank and panel, so even though I had proper power etc. it was not heating. That was odd but an easy fix. This being 240 volt, the same solution is not in the cards. grrrrrrr

Re: Electric hwt...help

EDIT: THINKING OF SOMETHING ELSE.

Sorry.

J.C.
    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 11-25-2009, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shock1964 View Post
      Today I changed 2, 3000 watt elements on a 240 volt hwt. When I checked back a couple hours later the tank was still cold.
      I have 120 volts comong in on each line and a check across tham shows 209 volts. No question that I am getting proper voltage. Both elements ohm out at 19 ohms, both stats (upper and lower) are good. There is no point in the circuit that I can find a problem. Removing power and checking continuity through the complete circuit, I get 19 ohms.
      I am pulling my hair out (or would if I had any) trying to figure out why I have a complete closed circuit supplied 209 volts and still no hot water being produced. And yes I did check to make sure all wire connections are in their proper places as per the wiring diagram.
      Any help would be appreciated. Calling tech support line when they open tomorrow, but at this point I am baffled. I had a 110 volt tank do the same thing a while back and found the problem to be a faulty neutral wire between the tank and panel, so even though I had proper power etc. it was not heating. That was odd but an easy fix. This being 240 volt, the same solution is not in the cards. grrrrrrr
      How do you know the stats are good?

J.C.

Comment

If your elements are 19 ohms, and you are operating at 208 volts, you have approx. 2200 watts. It would be a little slow to heat, but after a few hours you should have hot water. There is something missing in the picture.

Comment

Stats are bad...top one.

Top one operates the bottom stat, the worker bee.

Replace both even though they are testing out and I bet that'll solve your problem.

If I'm replacing elements you better believe I'm making it a full sweep and changing the stats too. Always.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I agree with Dunbar. Always replace stats when doing elements.

My first question is, why where you replacing elements in the first place? Were they shorted?. What did they look like when they came out?

Turn off the incoming water to the heater for an hour. You may be passing water and the heater can't keep up.

Comment

Get an amp meter No Current Draw No Hot Water ! If you have a Current draw then you have a Helluva Leak somewhere !

Comment

Check your breaker size and install the proper sized elements for maximum efficency and recovery.As suggested change the thermostats.

Comment

I agree, an amp draw would tell you if the elements are heating.
                  Plumbing shop supr.
                  My plumbing hobby site - PlumbingHelp.ca

Comment

Ok, so I just got punked!!!!!
                    It turns out that after I left the first time the electrician turned off the panel and had it back on just shortly before I was called back for no hot water. The 2 bad elements were all that was needed. A bit of communication woud have helped, the electrician even discussed the tank with me while I was trying to figure it out. Water was good when I checked this morning, but it took a while to get the electrician to come clean about turning the power off.
                    Thanks for the advice on the stats, I will keep in mind to just do a wholesale swap in the future, though thankfully in this case not necessary.
                    It helps being able to use this forum since at my shop I am the only service tech. the rest all being construction monkey's just give me blank stares when I come in with a problem that a second opinion would clear up.

Comment

bawa!hahaha...ha!

Entertaining thread, though.

I was the sole serviceman at a huge down-south new company once. Once. When I left, it took 2 men to do my job.

I remember one time I was really complaining about the number of stupid repairs (like a turned off breaker) I had to make and they put me on a new crew for a week....yikes. Never again.
                      (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Working...
                      X