• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Witching/Divining rods

Originally posted by Ninjaskillz View Post
    Okay, let's say it does work?

Here would be my theory on it.

The wires are slightly in tune with some sort of electromagnetic field running around the earth.
    And when there is a line full of water, it changes and twists this electromagnetic field around, thus making the wires move.

Theorys are right, until proven wrong.
    Someone prove me wrong!
    Theories are not necessarily right or wrong and to say either definitely is incorrect.

There must be a higher % of supporting evidence for something to gain the status of "Theory".

If it can be proven over and over again with the exact same results then it can be moved into "Law". Laws are much more concrete and seldom broken.

But they are breakable as new discoveries are made and different ways of thinking pursued.

I'll cite the video as evidence of disproving the theory of Witching/Dowsing:

ALL "WITCHING/DOWSERS" WERE WRONG 88% OF THE TIME ON AVERAGE FOR WATER & METALS DETECTION.
    ALL "WITCHING/DOWSERS" WERE WRONG 78% OF THE TIME WHEN SEEKING WATER.

There is not even enough of a % of evidence present for the hypothesis of this to work to even develop a theory.

No theory, no law. No law, no work.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      Theories are not necessarily right or wrong and to say either definitely is incorrect.

There must be a higher % of supporting evidence for something to gain the status of "Theory".

J.C.
      Going to go somewhere with this, that I shouldn't.

Theories require nothing. No amount of supporting evidence.
      Yes I googled theory.

Show me one half of a single grain of any sort of supporting evidence about this theory...

The Big Bang Theory.

Comment

Yes I googled theory.

Show me one half of a single grain of any sort of supporting evidence about this theory...

The Big Bang Theory.

You are here aren't you

G3

Comment

Yes I googled theory.

The Big Bang Theory.
          I think you should study hypothesis vs. theory for a while and you might rethink your conclusions.

And back on subject, we can go 'round and 'round, call it theory, hypothesis, crayons, whatever.....

There has currently been what one could consider a double blind experiment on dowsing that proves it not to work. Mark posted the video if anyone cares to watch. Multiple people proven to be no more accurate than a person that could walk up and just guess at something.

Now, anyone care to post the video of another double blind experiment that shows the opposite? Anyone? A video or study of multiple dowsers tested and showing them to be 75% to 85% accurate?

What's strange, amusing, and confusing to me is that the guys in the video Mark posted agreed with the testing procedure, were allowed input if something didn't seem right, and AGAIN asked if they thought the test was fair & accurate regardless of the results before they heard the results.

They agreed it was all fair. Then afterwards when they were shown how inaccurate they were, he asked them do they still believe in dowsing, and they said YES!

But it does shed some light on why it's debated and human behavior.

J.C.

Comment

See those two tractors at the above left?

We've dug up a good part of the world over the years. Had more than one person that believed 100% in their divining method only to be proven wrong.

It cannot be proven to work in my experience.

J.C.
            I have taken a simlpe steel wire such as those that are used as an irrigation flag, bent it into a right angle, and found many undeground lines. My only other option was a blind dig/guess. Suppossedly the pipes interrupt the existing polarity of the earth, and the end wil move in your hand as you pass over a pipe. I would prefer equipment, but this method has worked when looking for cleanouts, water lines, sewer lines, and water meters hidden by years of mulch deposited on top of them. I would not bet my life that I can do it-you could do it-everytime, but this does work in a limited application, and I have seen homeowners use this method themselves after seeing my company show them as they looked for irrigation and other underground items.

Comment

I still say VooDoo.

J.C.

Comment

I still say VooDoo.

J.C.
                it's impossible to have an intelligent argument with a closed mind.

steve
                In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                  it's impossible to have an intelligent argument with a closed mind.

steve
                  I have no idea why you feel I have a closed mind to this. And if you really think about it, why are you so closed minded to the possibility of the inaccuracy of this?

Should I not take into account all the times this was shown to be inaccurate? Or the times I've seen myself?

How about some specifics from anyone on the exact method this is to be done from you.

What kind of metallurgy must be present in the rods?
                  What's the exact length and weight of the rods?
                  What exactly are you able to detect? Water, water lines, ditches? Why?
                  What properties does one person posess that gives them this "ability" that another person does not?

These can typically be answered in extremely vague terms like, "I don't know, it just works for me and I've seen it work for others."

But it's madness. If it were to be true then all of us would be witnessing "spontaneous crossing" of non magnetic metallic wires or objects throughout our lives. Seen much of that?

The fact of the matter is that this is nothing more than the subconscious mind of people wanting something to work that really does not.

I'll give you a recent situation. I was working on a job with someone that I have seen use the rods and believes in them even though I have proven him to be inaccurate more than once. We were working on a job using a backhoe and he told me to watch a certain area as it looks like where the water line is. No, he did not attempt a rod location.

Sure enough, he was right. And he was right based on his experience only. Not some witching rod VooDoo.

What happens with people that believe with their "open mind" to this ability is most have experience in these fields. So just by looking at the information an area gives to them (ground depression, vents, meters, cleanouts etc.) they already develop in their mind where things possibly are. An educated, experienced person in the "underground fields" has a good probability of predicting areas with nothing in their hands at all.

I will absolutely guarantee you this: If the person I was working with would have taken out his divining rods they would have crossed 100% every time he crossed where he already thought the water line to be. That's ones subconscious working and has nothing to do with two pieces of metal reacting with anything.

Now with all the real proof and evidence present showing that it is untrue and inaccurate-I'm still willing to look at any real evidence showing that it is accurate.

On the other hand, are you willing to accept the possibility that it does not work based on all the evidence that has been presented showing so?

Or are you too closed minded to have an intelligent discussion about it?

J.C.

Comment

Here is another good link on dowsing.

http://www.experiencefestival.com/a/Dowsing/id/1894854

Of note, James Randi's $40,000 reward is now up to $1,000,000 if any of the dowsers on this site wants to make some money. You have to do a few things to get them to test you but for a $1,000,000 what the heck.

Mark
                    Last edited by ToUtahNow; 12-11-2009, 11:06 AM. Reason: forgot link
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Working...
                    X