Witching/Divining rods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Witching/Divining rods

Whatever you may call the technique, does it work?

For those of you that may have no idea what I am talking about, it's where you take 2 pieces of metal, like wire, make a small 90 degree bend to serve as handles, and you hold one in each hand close together, walk around the yard, and when they draw together, and crisscross, then directly under you is the water line.

So, you old school guys, does this REALLY work? I am trying to locate a PVC waterline in a pasture and this is the ONLY technique I can think remotely possible to work.

Re: Witching/Divining rods

Originally posted by Ninjaskillz View Post

For those of you that may have no idea what I am talking about, it's where you take 2 pieces of metal, like wire, make a small 90 degree bend to serve as handles, and you hold one in each hand close together, walk around the yard, and when they draw together, and crisscross, then directly under you is the water line.

So, you old school guys, does this REALLY work? I am trying to locate a PVC waterline in a pasture and this is the ONLY technique I can think remotely possible to work.
    No, it cannot be proven to work.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninjaskillz View Post

I've had great success with witching rods, and I guess I'm an old timer. It worked for many years before the digital age came along.

It's fairly accurate against a totally blind guess.

Witching rods do not work for all people however. It's strange why it wouldn't but we've tried it in a group of people where one or two couldn't get the rods to move in relation to crossing a water line or drain.
      Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I've seen enough of it to be a beliver.

With that said, the only witching rod I own is a 512mhz sonde.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Works good for me, and if you are in an open field should work even better. I have two brazing rods that I bent and have used for years, matter of fact thay are laying on the dash of my truck. Had to find a 6 inch fire line in a parking lot, missed it by 6", my buddy nailed it by a crack in the curb where the ditch line had settled, you could not tell that the ditch line had settled in the pavement though.

Give it a try and let several others try it also, sounds like you have nothing to loose.

G3

Comment

I had a partner in a Development company who really believed in the stuff. He hired a guy who was suppose to be the best of the best and brought him here from the English Countryside at a cost of about $12,000. The guy located 4-promising areas for drilling and we spent $40,000 on 4-dry holes.

Fast forward 20-years and I am the President of a Water Company in Utah. I own a canyon with an Artesian spring which supplies all of our water. We need more water and decided to drill a new well. The well driller told us he felt where ever we drilled in my canyon we would hit water. One of the guys on the BOD had a guy come out and witch. The guy picked a spot where he said we would get 25 GPM. We drilled the well and got 125 GPM (5 times the amount). So now you have to wonder who did the better job, the Well Digger who said we would get water anywhere in the canyon or the guy who stood in the middle of a canyon full of water and said drill here.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I don't know about locating a water well drill site, never tried that, the OP was asking about locating a PVC line in a field.

G3

Comment

I can witch water. I've witched two well for my parents. One when I was about 9 and one 5 years ago. Looking for something specific, I don't know if I could do it. Although if you are looking for a pipe you could set up a grid and once you hit it, turn at right angles and see if you could follow it. I'm not really sure. I do know the last well I witched, I felt a pull like never before. I could feel "electricity" all the way up to my shoulders. They hit water at 65 feet if I remember right. Lots of it too.
                www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                  No, it cannot be proven to work.

J.C.
                  See those two tractors at the above left?

We've dug up a good part of the world over the years. Had more than one person that believed 100% in their divining method only to be proven wrong.

It cannot be proven to work in my experience.

J.C.

Comment

i've seen it work.??? but it could be like utah. we could of hit water anywhere. who knows. i'd like to see scientific proof. i've been waiting a long time. i also think looking for a pipe in a vacate 40 acre field, well what you got to lose. pay witcher only if they hit it. breid............

Comment

I've had a lot of plumbers work for me over the years who swear by it. Some of them have a pretty good track record doing it. I tend to believe it has more to do with them being good plumbers who used common sense rather than their witching abilities.

The thing to remember is as long as this debate has been going on there is still no scientific proof it works.

Mark
                      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Ahh but I'm going to video a few experiences in my yard as soon as I can figure out how to tape my camera to my head.

I'll do sewer, gas, water, along with a few downspout leaders with a coat hanger cut in half bent in 90's, loose in my hands.

It's a talent but given all the years that we did NOT have electronic devices to locate, this formula/method proved more reliable than a simple guess, which was the alternative back then.

I'll revisit this thread when I produce the videos, certainly not today though, too busy.
                        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR View Post
                          Ahh but I'm going to video a few experiences in my yard as soon as I can figure out how to tape my camera to my head.

I'll do sewer, gas, water, along with a few downspout leaders with a coat hanger cut in half bent in 90's, loose in my hands.

It's a talent but given all the years that we did NOT have electronic devices to locate, this formula/method proved more reliable than a simple guess, which was the alternative back then.

I'll revisit this thread when I produce the videos, certainly not today though, too busy.
                          To get more real evidence, you have to go to some real trouble.

You need to be driven blindfolded to multiple areas with utilities unknown to you by someone.

Do your locates blindfolded, then look at the results. No external input from the area or the person assisting.

Multiple times. Then you have something with more foundation.

Of course, it will look like you've been kidnapped by some fraternity during pledge week.

J.C.

Comment

a simple test.

1 make the rods
                            2 attach garden hose to bib
                            3 put nozzle on garden hose and close nozzle
                            4 turn water on
                            5 slowly approach garden hose from a 90 degree angle

observe the rods as you approach the hose and after you pass. do they cross or do they go parallel to each other or do they do nothing at all?

try it

steve
                            In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Subconscious as to which way you wish to believe.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X