Sleeving copper w/ PEX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeving copper w/ PEX

My Customer has a slab leak between the 1/2 bathroom and kitchen in a 3/4 pipe. The run is about 15 - 20 feet. These folks have no $$ and for some reason due to past claims, there insurance will not help them. My thought is to push a 1/2 in pex line through the 3/4 copper and use sharkbites to reconnect on either side. H20 demand, which is small will allow it. Will this be legit?

Re: Sleeving copper w/ PEX

Whatever works to get them water. One hard bend and it will jam inside.

I know a guy who owns a veterinary hospital that had a 1/2" soft copper line start leaking in his slab on grade building.

He took 3/8" soft copper tubing, entire jar of vaseline and pushed it through, hooked it up, been working 26 years and no signs of pressure loss at that fixture. Amazing.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

1/2" inside 3/4" will be a tight fit, especially pushing it for 20'.

Gonna be hard getting it around the bends.

Might consider 3/8" depending on what you're feeding.

I would use insert ftgs. with crimps, not S.B.'s for the transition.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jim View Post
        I would use insert ftgs. with crimps, not S.B.'s for the transition.
        exactly.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I've also looped through the attic and fished through the wall. Got to use your head and keep everything from freezing.

J.C.

Comment

we push 1/2" pex thru 3/4" all the time and only one time I had to break up the floor I got lucky though because it was behind a washing machine and it covered the concrete patch.I always stress to the homeowner that it may not make it all the way and explain that the floor may need to be broken up,and I use shark bite cuplings and 90s no problems with them either lastly I suggest access panels where I tie back into the above ground water lines. now that I think about it I had a case with people with no money and the inspector suggested pushing 1/2" thru the water service and it worked out good too.

Comment

Working...
            X