X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cellular core PVC for underground sewer

Apparently its approved in the Illinois code (unless I didnt get the new update). Do any municipalities allow it? If its not allowed for pressure, how can it be allowed for being installed 4+ feet underground?

Re: Cellular core PVC for underground sewer

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
    Apparently its approved in the Illinois code (unless I didnt get the new update). Do any municipalities allow it? If its not allowed for pressure, how can it be allowed for being installed 4+ feet underground?
    Miles of it installed here. The internal pressure/joint rating is not considered for the pressure rating of sewer or the external load that can be applied to it.

In other words 4+ feet of backfill does not compromise it. We level, bury, and light tamp the entire pipe run before finish covering with any equipment.

You might want to check the mfg. of the product you would use to see there ground pressure rating.

J.C.

Comment

Same as JC. Use it all the time around here, LOVE it.

Simple phonecall to your local inspector will answer the yes or no question about it!

Comment

most areas around here, cellular core is all that gets used for waste piping.
        Branson missouri, the inspectors will only allow schedule 40 solid pipe for any waste pipe, be it above ground or buried in the yard.
        No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Never installed it below ground around here. The county only allows cast iron, and I know if a local town allows it, then the professionals would be using it. In 10 years of service, remodel, and new housing, I have only seen it above ground, and rare at that. I also dont recall talking to any plumbers who use it. I searched for a pressure rating, no luck. Can anyone lead me to it?

Comment

Here's one manufacturer.

http://www.charlottepipe.com/Documen...ech_Manual.pdf

Page 99.

J.C.
            Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 12-01-2009, 10:48 PM.

Comment

I don't care for it from a drain cleaner's perspective. What happens when I snake a cell core pipe and break through it?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Parts of Los Angeles county forbid it. Palmdale? Lancaster?
                (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                  I don't care for it from a drain cleaner's perspective. What happens when I snake a cell core pipe and break through it?
                  It would suck.

Odds are pretty good you won't have a real aggressive drain cleaning with it. Smoother wall, no roots. (Preach to me Seweratz)

Now, someone bring on the horror stories....

J.C.
                  Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 12-01-2009, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Have you ever done this?

Noone, I mean NOONE here installs what I call area drain cellular core even though it has some approval along with the POS thin wall fittings.

All is labeled "Sch.40 Cellular Core". Wall is about 1/4" thick and weighs more than a pound per foot.

J.C.
                    Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 12-01-2009, 10:48 PM.

Comment

That pvc inner and outer shell are too thin for my comfort.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

That pvc inner and outer shell are too thin for my comfort.
                        Understood. I think % wise you will never have a problem vs. some of the old metallic pipe you'll encounter.

NorthernIllinois-I told you wrong.

Page 8 of the manual covers the compression strength and other ratings that might help.

J.C.

Comment

It is about 50-50 here in michigan. Some citys will allow it and some will not.

On storm lines or sump pump discharges i will install foam core becuase they are not more than 3ft deep here. On sanitary sewer mains (which are 6") i will only install true sch 40 pvc. Sanitary sewers are around 8'-12' deep here and it just seems to be much much better pipe! And i Always use the HEAVY DUTY 4 banded ferncos for underground work!

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            Here's one manufacturer.

Page 99.

J.C.
                            Thanks. I read thru that and it only talks about bedding the pipe. I cant seem to find any info on what the difference between 40 and Cell core (composition).

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
                              Thanks. I read thru that and it only talks about bedding the pipe. I cant seem to find any info on what the difference between 40 and Cell core (composition).
                              Read post 12. The composition description is in there I'm pretty sure. Haven't read in awhile and too lazy.

Cellular Core I think is air entrained Virgin PVC.

Non-Cellular Core is Virgin PVC that is not air entrained.

Read it all though because what they or the mfg. you use is what really counts.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X