sump pump

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sump pump

Hi I'm having a problem with my pump. We just moved into our new place and I hear the pump being really loud tonight, so I went down to check it our and the water in the hole was bubbling and steaming. I unplugged it because I didn't think this was normal and couldn't figure anything out from the manual left behind by the previous owners. I do know that the pump is new (about a month old) but can't get it out of the hold to check for clogs. Any advice?

katygirl,

Does your pump have a visible float? It will be connected along the side of the pump or connected with a cord coming off the motor if it does.

It is very possible that the float has "hung up" and is not telling the pump to shut off when the water has reached a point low enough that it cannot pump any more. Your pump relies on the water flowing through it to keep itself cool. If it "sticks" because the float is not working freely then you will get the symptoms you have described.

There is probably an 80% chance that this is your problem, the good news is that if you caught it in time there is probably not much damage done to the pump if it is a good heavy duty one.

If the float has become "hung up" you will need to put on a pair of rubber gloves and free it. After it is free plug your pump back in and add water to your sump until the float rises to the point where your pump will start again. Watch the float and see how it settles as the water level falls. If it is "hanging up" on something or if the installer simply left to much cord on the mercury switch then it will be very evident what you can do to prevent it from happening again.

If your float works freely and your pump is still not moving water then the next thing to check for is to be sure your check valve has not siezed.

If there is not a problem with either the check valve or float then we need to be sure the bottom of the pump is not covered with mud or any other debris that might be keeping it from picking up the water.

After checking all these possible situations and determining that they are not the cause of your problem then we need to be sure that the discharge line is not blocked.

I would bet you a doughnut that its simply a matter of the float sticking or hanging up. But if its not any of the other things I mentioned then you need to find out the name of the contractor who installed the pump and have him check out the motor and switch for warranty problems.

If you have a Home Buyers warranty there is still a deductable I am sure so check out the easy things first and save yourself a dollar.

Good luck.
    Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

PLUMBER MENTIONED A LOT OF GOOD POINTS. 1 MORE THING TO ADD. I'VE SEEN ALOT OF INSTALLATIONS WHERE NO VENT HOLE WAS DRILLED ON THE DISCHARGE LINE BELOW THE CHECK VALVE. THERE SHOULD BE A 3/16'' HOLE IN THE PIPE TO ALLOW FOR THE LINE TO VENT AND KEEPING AN AIR LOCK FROM HAPPENING. MAKE SURE YOU DRILL IT BELOW THE LEVEL OF THE COVER TO ALLOW THE WATER STREAM BACK INTO THE PIT. YOU CAN ALSO DISCONNECT THE LAST CONNECTION ON THE SYSTEM TO TEST THE PUMP. BE CAREFULL, COULD PUMP OUT LOTS OF WATER.

Comment

Good point Rick, I assumed the installer had done that but many do not.
        Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Working...
        X