X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinholes in copper

I've been searching here, but not coming up with the answers to pinhiles in copper.

I've been scheduled for a repair call to replace some copper tube in a house that has a pinholing problem. I have not seen this yet, only have the office manager description. Supposedly has small bluish dots that eventually turn to piholes, and is concentrated in a domestic hot water return loop. The house is approximately 5-6 years old, tube is all type L.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this?

TMc

Re: Pinholes in copper

Could be you have some really bad water.
    Sometimes the recirculating line is too small for the volume of water going through it.
    After checking your water you may want to conider buying a slower pump.
    What size is your recirc line?
    Is it on a thermoswitch or clock?
    Last edited by drtyhands; 12-02-2009, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Have the water tested. Also be sure some goof ball didn't connect up a grounding connection to it.
      Finally check to be sure there are di-electric unions where needed.

Comment

I'm finding out more about the house.

The recirc. line is 3/4 in.

I'm also being told now that the water has had a blue color to it, ever since the house was new. I haven't been able to find out yet if that is hot water only or all of the water. I'm also trying to get info on the water supply, well or public supply.

Comment

Your problem is most likely due to the velocity of the flow. My guess is that you have a constantly running recirculating pump. I have a solution for you but your going to have to private message me so I can send you some info. Any one else that would like this information is also welcome to inquire.

Comment

It's in the hosebibbs. You need to remove all of the hosebibbs.

J.C.
            Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 12-03-2009, 12:10 AM.

Comment

I would check the water.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
                Your problem is most likely due to the velocity of the flow. My guess is that you have a constantly running recirculating pump. I have a solution for you but your going to have to private message me so I can send you some info. Any one else that would like this information is also welcome to inquire.
                ???

J.C.

Comment

I'll check for the things that have been mentioned when I go there Monday.

I'm all ears if there are any other thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                    Have the water tested. Also be sure some goof ball didn't connect up a grounding connection to it.
                    Finally check to be sure there are di-electric unions where needed.
                    Wousko I'm not sure I understand.Out here Sparky's required by code to not only cold water bond his panel but the Jacuzzi pump as well.

Comment

As for the grounding issue, that is rare but I have seen some pretty wild things. In some cases the water pipes were actually used as electrical conductors. EEEEK

I would be more for doing water testing and not worry too much about other things unless there is a special point of serious corrosion.

Some pictures would be helpful for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by rookie plumber View Post
                        Given what this forum is all about I have a hard time understanding why you would not just share any useful info you have in here.

Comment

coppers good for 50 years. nothing better. lol. breid.........

Comment

Originally posted by shock1964 View Post
                            Given what this forum is all about I have a hard time understanding why you would not just share any useful info you have in here.
                            It's Rookie's way of showing respect by not openly marketing his product

Comment

Around here the city water is very harsh mineral wise and pinholes show up in less than ten years in some cases. I tell them the best long term fix is Wirsbo Pex.

Comment

Working...
                              X