Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pictures of your Work - Great Idea - Proof of Workmanship

Awesome story papadan.

That kept you all out of the legal entanglement.

I get brow beat over small amounts of money as well, tis the society and nature of saving a buck.

It definitely shows through your story that skimping can come back to haunt.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

This thread caught my eye a while ago, but I had to keep quiet because RIDGIDConnect was not live then. Anyways, it is now and I referenced this thread in my blog because of the great stories in this thread! http://ridgidconnect.wordpress.com/2...ation-aka-cya/
      Justin Daw
      RIDGID
      Check out RIDGIDConnect Today!

Comment

Originally posted by richinflorida View Post
        This post is a real eye opener and great advice; . It always irritates me when a customer watches me every second like an old tv show, BUT, when you hear about what goes on with some service providers, I guess you can't blame them..
        I had a long nasty sewer cleaning job in St Paul last week and the old woman
        *really* didn't seem to trust me.Watched me like a hawk,wrote down exactly
        when I walked in the door and then pulled up a chair whilst I started the wrestling match with her 150' line from her basement.
        Glad she did.Clay tile at the foundation to the street.Roots at every joint,that means every 2 ' all the way to the road.
        She now understands why the last guy hated it so much!
        Come bill time there were nooooo questions as to why it took so long!

Comment

Just like I'm referencing this thread I started a long time ago,

I referenced some pictures I took that never made it to the public domain (internet) today because I had to.

Here are the pictures in question:

Union Kentucky Battery Backup Sump Pump Installation

Here's the scoop:

Before christmas, I got a call from the property owner stating that the secondary pump kicked on in the basement, and he was concerned. Rightfully so.

Upon discussion, it was revealed to me that a radon mitigation company had used this very pit to utilize access to the floor, instead of installing a pit similar for the same access.

IF, I would of known, or if he would of asked me prior if it was a good idea for radon mitigation to be used in this pit, I would of said no, knowing there are 2 pumps, not one in the pit that needs access to clean, maintenance and visuals to make sure there's nothing in the pit that could cause problems.

But it's too late for that, the radon mitigation company done used this pit and it is installed.

All it consists of is another penetration into that lid, most times 3" PVC and air tight. Nothing more. The fan is installed outside that vents that pit to remove radon from the structure.

Not having access to these pictures, and now discussing this situation twice without seeing them, I assumed that this was an open pit, open lid I was dealing with on this install. It wasn't.

Customer called again today, frantic because there is 10's of thousands of his personal items in this basement and he's concerned for the issue in this pit, knowing there's an issue. What he revealed today was an inspection from the builder, who removed one of 3 panels that gives access into this pit, and it was more than obvious that the pump had shifted and was up against the wall, preventing the primary pump's float from correctly raising due to the incoming water.

Before christmas, it was discussed on "who" has the liability for this malfunction of this pump, how it is screwing up.

After seeing my pictures today, knowing it was 4 months "error free" before this mitigation company came in and worked in this pit...

I've come to the conclusion, as in PICTURE #6, that their first move in getting that lid off was

1. Unplugging the system
          2. Shutting off the red handled 1.5" PVC valve
          3. Removing bolts from the lid
          4. Disconnecting the Mission no hub banded coupling I installed
          5. Lifting that connection apart carefully, then removing the lid.

No one is going to tell me they instantly went into that pit by taking a sawzall and cutting it into pieces to remove it, leaving that pump system intact. That's not reasonable and it's not plausible, especially in a court of law.

If anything, they removed that lid in the fastest way possible. That's plausible and reasonable. Why destroy that lid? And knowing the wires entering that pit, sending a blade (if that would even remotely be the case) would be risky, very risky.

What I think happened

Pump system was disconnected, no one paid attention to how the pump was reconnected when put back together at the mission no hub banded coupling.

Customer states primary pump is "floating" as in the pump is not resting on the bottom of the pit. ???

Those pictures time stamp how I left that system, properly working.

The customer now has these pictures to work off of what he sees now in his basement.

The reason this is a big deal is because this fellow spent money with me, along with this mitigation company. No problems existed until this company messed with the pit.

Now, a new pump might be in the equation along with my time, and money spent with the mitigation company to reseal the pit.

I'm telling him "last person owns it" and the mitigation company is saying "we do these all the time, we didn't touch the pump" and therefore you have a customer spending money once again.

I feel strongly, very strongly that what's playing out in this matter is someone disconnecting my system to install "their" lid that accommodates a second hole into the pit that also meant they had to exactly match the existing hole for the discharge of the sump pump.

I've seen too many times where pipes are pushed/shoved/bent into position to make the lid work.

I've got over 40 of these under my name in the area and never do I have installation issues. Knowing the background of this situation in its entireity, I'm going to insist that the property owner collect from the mitigation company and insist they pay for my time and theirs for the screw up. I don't care how many times they've passed the buck blaming someone else, they don't know I took pictures of my work beforehand.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Good job on that. You saved yourself from looking like a fool by having those pics handy and proving that you did things right.
            Ideal Plumbing

Comment

We have been taking pictures of our shower pan tests for the past few years. I like the dry erase board idea.

Comment

I would also suggest documenting the temp. setting of the water htrs. We have customers initial off.

Pics have gotten us paid. Once the work is buried, some people tend to "forget" that you were even there.

Comment

Working...
                X