X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chemicals

Do Chemicals have a place in Drain Cleaning?

-Root Killer's
    -Lye (Thrift) mild trap cleaner
    -Sizzle (hydrochloric acid)
    -Enzyme based cleaners
    -Jetting chemicals

Your thoughts...

Re: Chemicals

Sometimes muriatic acid is the only way I can clear some of the old urinals and floor drains at my schools. The old durham traps will hardly receive a bare ended cable. Also tree roots are everywhere in the old lines. So rootx helps also after snaking. As a last resort in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
      Do Chemicals have a place in Drain Cleaning?

-Root Killer's
      -Lye (Thrift) mild trap cleaner
      -Sizzle (hydrochloric acid)
      -Enzyme based cleaners
      -Jetting chemicals

Your thoughts...
      I don't know if they do or not. You'll probably hear a debate of what is most professional.

But I can't lie to you, I've used everything on that list at one time or another except jetting chemicals.

About the only thing I keep is Thrift. Someone sooner or later will ask "while you're here, this drain is a little slow...." when I don't have the time to take the world apart or may not even have the drain equipment because of the schedule that day.

I'll check it and if it's slow (Soap scum, some buildup) the Thrift can get things moving fairly well for awhile. I do explain to them that they're typically on borrowed time and constant chemicals in any drain is asking for big bills later on.

All in all though, nothing beats physical removal of blockages.

J.C.

Comment

I've been using Thrift since 1988. Used it for years then stopped because back then there was no internet, no phone books but local. Then I found a place that sold it, started buying cases of it again.

Think about that for a minute.

You was forced to deal with others that had to go through the steps to find someone that could contact.

Now I can find a product, name, phone numbers in seconds thanks to Google.
        Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

I'm a big fan of Thrift as well.

Foaming copper sulfate. Yup

I have also been using the bacteria / enzyme based grease treatment's (for remediation of bad lines) I leave this with the customer to use after I'm done running spade cutters.

I have used sizzle in the past but no longer keep it on the truck (it helps to have the proper sized cables and machines)

I do not have a jetter but will be building one this winter (I don't plan on using chemicals with it)

Comment

More like "do they have a place in the environment?"

I was lectured by some tree hugger about how her lawn is a "correct" lawn for having oak trees (no grass). Basically it looks like the woods...this is nature, this is the way it should be, it wont harm the tress...BLAH, BLAH, BLAH.

Then I ask her why she is pouring Drano in her sewer to break a clog??? ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....not a clue.

Comment

I am kinda 50/50 on acids.
              I have never really had luck with them. They stink, can seriously damage the fixture, and 9 times out of 10, I get MUCH better results with a cable, for just a little more time invested.

Comment

Had to use acid last week ... Just to Get the Unary salts soft enough to get the cable through ..... Dave

Comment

mostly all I ever use is muriatic for urinal traps, and to clean up the first guys cable marks all over the toilet bowl, and rootx... also ccls for septic tanks.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Working...
                  X